This pesto marinara sauce recipe is silky and herbaceous. Perfect for pastas, pizzas, or even sandwiches. Ditch the store-bought varieties and make your own low carb, Whole30 marinara.
- Use it as a pizza sauce for your favorite keto pizza recipe
- Level up your breakfast and use it on these Keto Pizza Eggs
- Bread chicken in a mix of crushed pork rinds and parmesan cheese and make a low carb chicken parmesan
- Use it to jazz up this Keto Chicken Parmesan Dip
- Eat it as a dip with these Keto Pizza Chips
- Put a delicious spin on these Keto Pizza Bagels
- Add it to this Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Cabbage Casserole
Substitutions and Swaps
- If you are not a fan of pesto, simply omit it
- Not looking for a dairy free recipe? Try adding some parmigiano reggiano, shredded smoked gouda, or even shredded mozzarella cheese.
- To make this recipe Whole30 compliant, be sure to look for a dairy free pesto recipe
- Use a microplane to grate half of a small onion into the sauce in place of the dried minced onion
- Add a little heavy cream and some ground beef, veal, or pork to make this a pesto bolognese recipe
- Give it a nutritional boost by adding some sauteed veggies - onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms etc.
Using Fresh Herbs
If you would like to substitute fresh herbs in this recipe, simply triple the amount. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, you would use 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano. I love cooking with fresh herbs from my windowsill herb garden, but during the time of year that I don't have readily available fresh herbs, I have a good stockpile of dried herbs on hand. Swapping them out is easy with the one simple rule of thumb.
Other sauce recipes you might enjoy
- Keto Yum Yum Sauce
- Garlic Dill Tartar Sauce
- Paleo Pizza Sauce
- Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Taco Sauce
- Keto Hollandaise
- Three Cheese Garlic Marinara
- Sun-dried Tomato Garlic Cream Sauce
- Cranberry Sauce
- Pesto Cream Sauce