Your favorite holiday appetizer just got a keto makeover. These Keto Sausage Balls are the perfect quick and easy low carb appetizer for all occasions.
Keto Sausage Balls: the perfect keto appetizer
I can't think of a more traditional appetizer recipe than sausage balls. They have grazed countless holiday tables for decades. These keto sausage balls are the perfect low carb rendition of a high carb classic. In this recipe I used almond flour in place of the traditional bisquick used in the sausage ball recipes of old. It makes the perfect substitution, while keeping the perfectly dense, juicy texture.
What to serve with these sausage balls
I love to serve these keto sausage balls with a side of low carb barbecue sauce or even with my Dairy Free Keto Ranch Dressing Recipe or Keto Chive Blue Cheese Dressing recipe. And let me just tell you... these sausage balls aren't just for holidays, they are perfect any time of year. They are quick and easy, ready in under 30 minutes, making them the perfect quick and easy party appetizer.
I like to make a double batch and use them for meal prep throughout the week. They are portable, and reheat well. Great served alone, or with eggs for breakfast. Serve them up with a hearty salad for lunch or dinner. The possibilities are endless. I also like to mix things up a bit and whip these sausage balls up with some cream cheese and fresh herbs. DELISH! What is your favorite way to enjoy keto sausage balls?
More keto appetizer recipes:
- Crispy Lemon Feta Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- Keto Soft Pretzels
- Dill Pickle Deviled Eggs
- Keto Pimento Cheese Dip
- Cauliflower Pizza Poppers
- Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Low Carb Beef and Chorizo Empanadas
- Cajun Trinity Keto Crab Cakes
- Keto Chicken Fried Cauliflower Steaks
Keto Sausage Balls
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 24 sausage balls (6 servings) 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
These Keto Sausage Balls have all the savoriness and flavor of the traditional version made with bisquick, but without all the carbs and gluten. They are the perfect quick and easy low carb party appetizer.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions (I use this brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a wire cooling rack.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and, using your hands, mix until well incorporated.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 ½ - to 2-inch meatballs, making a total of 24
- Place the meatballs on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- net carbs per serving: 3.5g
- I recommend cooking these on a greased baking rack, on parchment paper, or on a silicone baking mat.
- While sharp cheddar and parmesan is my favorite cheese combo for this recipe, you can use any combination of your favorite cheeses.
- This can be made with mild or spicy ground Italian sausage.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 sausage balls
- Calories: 374
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 22g
Keywords: sausage balls, low carb appetizers, keto party recipe, keto snacks, low carb sausage balls, keto recipes
I’m eating these now for dinner and they are delicious. The only thing I did differently was used medium cheddar because that’s what I had. My low carb bbq sauce is pretty spicy though so I can’t tell the difference. So good!
Alison Mserouel says
These were absolutely delicious! I didn’t change anything about the recipe and I will be serving this tomorrow for Super Bowl!
The BEST sausage ball recipe ever! I've lived in the south for 40 years, so I've tried them all. I made these for the family and didn't tell them they were keto. Everyone raved about them and asked what I added to the Bisquik to make them so good. 🤣 When I told them it was a keto recipe and low carb, they were shocked & thrilled that these little goodies can be enjoyed while "dieting". Ever since, they've been a special request & I am asked to make them for every holiday gathering! Working on a double batch as I type this. I do add a little garlic powder, a dash of ground cayenne,
and use Jimmy Dean regular sausage. Soooo good! Thanks for sharing this staple!
love these!!! They make an awesome quick lunch or snack or even breakfast! The bomb 👍🏻
I made the recipe exactly. Next time I might try half breakfast sausage and half Italian . These are going to be perfect grab and go breakfasts for hubby and I. Thanks!
Christiane R Schulze says
can you make this without the egg?? wasn't sure if that was just being used as a binder...thanks so much!!
Almost sausage meatballs. Used hot jimmy dean breakfast sausage instead of Italian. Was hoping for more “puff” like the bisquick recipe of my childhood. Alas, keto may not allow the trip down memory lane. Easy and very keto so happy to have quick bites at the ready.
I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of the almond flour, in which I substituted 1C of mozzarella cheese. Amazing, is the only word to describe these balls!
Jen Sanford says
Made this as an appetizer at Thanksgiving and now I have to bring it to every family gathering! My non-keto family loves it and I love that it is so easy to make. Thanks for another awesome recipe!
Delicious! Made them over the holiday. Will make again soon.
Love this recipe with no changes. Can these be frozen raw or cooked?