These Lemon Feta Chicken Wings are bursting with flavor. They are marinated and seasoned to perfection, then baked until they are crispy on the outside, while still being tender and juicy on the inside. Best of all, they are low carb and gluten free.
Ingredients in Lemon Feta Chicken Wings
- Chicken - For this recipe, I used a combination of flats and drumettes. Personally, I am typically an extra crispy, all-flats type of girl, but you can use either or both.
- Feta - I used a dry, crumbled feta for this recipe. It is not as salty as block feta in brine. If you are using a brined feta, you may want to reduce the salt in the recipe, as it is a saltier feta. If you have leftover feta, try one of these recipes - Chile Lime Chicken with Avocado Feta Salsa, or Antipasto Salad
- Olive oil - I like to use a light olive oil for this recipe so that the marinade it not too heavy. Avocado oil is also a great option.
- Smoked Paprika - This add a nice smoky flavor and a hint of spice. You could substitute sweet paprika or even use a pinch of cayenne pepper to kick things up a notch. (I use this brand of spices and seasonings)
- Baking Powder - this is the secret weapon in terms of making an extra crispy wing without breading or deep frying. I don't recommend omitting it.
How to Make Keto Chicken Wings
Step By Step Directions
STEP 1. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, pepper, oregano, salt, and paprika to a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
STEP 2. Add the chicken wings and half of the marinade to a large bowl, toss to coat the wings and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. Give the wings a good toss a couple times while they are marinating. (I get my organic, pasture raised chicken wings here)
STEP 3. Remove the wings from the marinade and line them in a single layer across paper towels. Cover the top with paper towels as well, and using your hands, press into the chicken to absorb excess moisture. Let sit for 10 minutes and then line them again on a fresh layer of paper towels, repeating the process.
STEP 4. Combine the wings and baking powder in a mixing bowl and toss to coat the wings evenly.
STEP 5. Line a baking sheet with a greased cooling rack. Arrange the wings in a single layer across the cooling rack.
STEP 6. Bake on the middle-lower oven rack for 25 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F and move the baking sheet to the middle-upper rack. Bake the wings for an additional 45 minutes, or until the skin is nice and crispy. Let the wings sit for 5 minutes and then toss them in the remaining marinade and top with feta and remaining parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions
Baking powder is the secret to crispy baked wings. It helps them get super crispy and golden brown while baking. It is a great alternative to deep frying or using a heavy breading.
This is really a matter of personal preference. For me personally, anytime I can get something super crispy without having to deep fry, I am all for it. I'm a huge fan of crispy baked wings.
That depends how they are made. Many of the wings you get in restaurants contain sort of breading or coated in flour before frying, making them higher in carbs and not gluten free.
If you cook them at 375°F, it will take about 25 minutes to get crispy air fryer wings. Be sure to toss them halfway through cooking. This is the air-fryer that I recommend.
Tips and Variations
- If you are not a fan of feta, or can't find any because everyone is still using it to make Baked Feta Pasta with Tomatoes, goat cheese is a delicious substitution. I've also made them with shaved parmesan, and even chopped garlic cheese curds.
- To deep fry these wings, you can heat oil in a dutch oven or sauce pan to 375°F and fry the wings for about 10 to 12 minutes or until crispy and cooked all the way through.
- Use this same cooking method and make my Salt and Vinegar Wings, Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings, or even Boneless Buffalo Wings
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.