This keto baked feta pasta with tomatoes is my low carb take on the viral TikTok sensation. Using spaghetti squash in place of pasta makes it a dish that low carbers and non-low carbers alike can enjoy.
After about the 100th time I saw this viral pasta recipe on TikTok, I just knew that I had to make a low carb baked feta pasta version. It's just too good to not have circulating around the low carb world also. But to give credit where credit is due, I had to do some digging to find the actual origin. From what I could trace back, the original version was created in 2019 by a Finnish food blogger named Jenni Häyrinen. TikTok got ahold of it in late 2020 and the rest is history.
Most of the versions I saw were simply tomato, feta, olive oil, salt, pepper, and pasta. But I had to kick things up a notch and add a whole lot of garlic, some balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, dried Italian seasoning, more feta, some Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper. In fact, it took some restraint to not keep adding more flavor. But I did want to keep it close to the original viral TikTok pasta, but with my own flair and a low carb and gluten free spin, of course.
For more delicious ideas of ways you can mix up this Keto Baked Feta Pasta with Tomatoes, check out my list of substitutions and variations below. The possibilities are endless.
Ingredients in baked feta pasta
- spaghetti squash
- grape tomatoes
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- dried Italian seasoning
Frequently Asked Questions
Instead of spaghetti squash, other low carb options include zucchini noodles, shredded cabbage, Shirataki noodles or even roasted cauliflower.
In place of the feta cheese in this low carb tomato feta pasta recipe, you can substitute goat cheese, cream cheese, brie, ricotta, gorgonzola, cottage cheese or a combination of any of your favorite soft cheeses.
If your spaghetti squash produces a lot of excess moisture, you can press it with paper towels to absorb the excess. You could also wring it out in a tea towel or in a cheese cloth bag.
You don't have to use block feta cheese for this baked feta pasta recipe, crumbles will work just fine.
Substitutions and Variations
- Not a fan of tomatoes? Try it with any of your favorite vegetables
- For a creamier sauce, add a little heavy cream in when you are mixing everything together
- If you don't have dried Italian seasoning, you can use oregano, rosemary or even herbes de Provence
- Not a fan of basil? Sub in some fresh parsley
- Add a splash of white wine to the tomatoes before cooking
- Add a protein like chicken or shrimp
- Use eggplant in place of or in addition to the tomatoes
- Instead of mixing up the roasted tomatoes and feta after it comes out of the oven, serve it as an appetizer with toasted crostini
- Not concerned with keeping it low carb? Substitute your favorite pasta or even rice
- Add some fresh spinach and kalamata olives
- Add diced onion or even onion powder
- Zest some lemon on top of the tomatoes before roasting
More low carb recipes
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.