These Keto Chicken Fried Cauliflower Steaks have all the crispy and delicious flavors of a traditional Country Fried Steak Recipe, but in a keto-friendly side dish recipe. Breaded cauliflower, seasoned and pan-fried until crispy and then topped with a Creamy Chive Blue Cheese Dressing.
Ingredients in Chicken Fried Cauliflower Steaks
- Cauliflower: For this chicken fried cauliflower recipe you will need a medium head of cauliflower. For extra servings, you can use a large head and get six slices instead of 4.
- Eggs: The eggs as used to make an egg wash so that the low carb breading will stick to the cauliflower steaks.
- Breading: The breading for this recipe is crushed pork rinds. You could also use almond flour, finely grated parmesan cheese, golden flaxseed meal, or even a combination of the 4. Try this Nut Free Keto Breading Recipe.
- Spices: For the seasoning I used garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. You can use any seasonings you prefer. Lemon pepper seasoning is another great option for this recipe.
How to make Keto Chicken Fried Cauliflower
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Remove the leaves and trim the stem of the cauliflower. Slice it into 4 even steaks, slicing from the top, down through the core.
STEP 2: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place each slice of cauliflower into the boiling water for about 3 minutes each, until just tender. Remove from the water, dry with a paper towel, and set aside.
STEP 3: Fork whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a second shallow bowl. Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Dip each slice of cauliflower into the egg wash and then press each side into the breading mixture.
STEP 4: Fry each slice for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage: Store leftover chicken fried cauliflower steaks in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this in a pan on the stove top, in the oven, or in an air fryer.
- Make it vegetarian: To make this a vegetarian keto side dish, use almond flour, finely grated parmesan cheese, golden flaxseed meal, or even a combination of the 3 in place of the pork rinds.
- Make it dairy free: To make this dairy free, simply serve it with my Dairy Free Ranch Dressing recipe in place of the blue cheese.
How to make Keto Breading
The "breadcrumb" for this keto chicken fried steak is made from a pork rind base. I love pork rinds because you can find them everywhere, they're reasonably priced, and you can grind them up with your favorite seasonings to customize the texture and flavor.
Pork rinds are gluten free and very keto friendly (zero carbs). They make the perfect crunch and I've used them as a substitute for traditional breadcrumbs a ton of different recipes. If you don't have a food processor, you can get pre-crushed pork rinds here.
Even if you are not a fan of pork rinds, trust me when I tell you that when they are crushed up and used as breading, they are not off-putting at all. They just make an extremely crunchy breading. It's truly perfect on this keto chicken fried cauliflower. Check out my Nut Free Keto Breading Recipe
What is the difference between chicken fried steak and country fried steak?
First let's start with the similarities - Chicken fried steak and country fried steak are both made with steak, typically tenderized cube steak, and are battered and fried. Sometimes pan-fried and sometimes deep fried.
From there, they are smothered in a delicious gravy before serving. The gravy is often the main distinction between the two. Country fried steak is usually served with a brown gravy and served with potatoes and vegetables, for dinner.
Chicken Fried Steak is typically served with a creamy, peppery white gravy and served with eggs and hash browns for breakfast. While these are some of the notable differences, you will still see the lines blurred on many menus.
More Low Carb Side Dish Recipes
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.