Not only is this Keto Popcorn Chicken low in carbs, but it is also gluten free, making it the perfect healthy treat while still feeling indulgent.
Is popcorn chicken actually made with popcorn?
No, in fact, popcorn chicken doesn't contain popcorn at all. It got its name because the breaded chicken pieces are bite sized like popcorn. Most fast food popcorn chicken is full of gluten and is cooked in unhealthy oils in a deep frier. But this keto popcorn chicken variation is not only low carb, but it is also gluten free. The keto breading in this recipe is also nut free. It gets its crunchy texture and golden brown color by using a mixture of coconut flour and crushed pork rinds.
What should I serve this low carb popcorn chicken with?
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Keto Barbecue Sauce
- Creamy Chive Blue Cheese Dressing
- Bacon Ranch Dressing
- Keto Honey Mustard Dressing
- Keto Russian Dressing
More keto appetizer recipes
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- How to Build an Epic Keto Charcuterie Board
- Parmesan, Chive, and Garlic Keto Crackers
- Keto Chicken Parmesan Dip
- Keto Sausage Balls
- Keto Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings
Keto Popcorn Chicken
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Please plan ahead for this recipe to accommodate for the 24 hours of refrigeration time.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk or heavy cream
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (this is my favorite salt brand)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups crushed pork rinds (get them here) or Nut Free Keto Breading
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder ( I use this brand of spices)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
The day before:
- Put the cut up chicken in a bowl, pour the buttermilk over it, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
The next day:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Set up three shallow bowls. In the first bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt, and pepper. Crack the egg into the second bowl and fork whisk. In the third bowl, mix together the pork rinds, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Follow this three step process with each piece of chicken: Dredge in coconut flour, coat in egg wash, and then coat in the pork rind breading. Line each breaded piece in a single layer across the prepared baking sheet.
- Baking for 20 minutes, checking often, or until golden brown and crispy
Net Carbs Per Serving: 4.6g
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 466
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 63g
Those look so good!
THESE ARE OUTSTANDING!!!!!