This dish turned out amazing and is one of those dishes that is even better the next day. My immediate thought upon tasting this was that if I slapped a poached egg on it, it would be an incredible breakfast dish. To make it gluten free, simply omit the panko or substitute grated Parmesan cheese or crushed pork rinds. This will also lower the carb count.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb cordon bleu recipes:
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8 oz ham, sliced
- 6 slices Swiss cheese ( about 6oz )
- 2 tbsp Panko (sub crushed pork rinds for gluten free)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Remove the stems from mushroom caps and slice a thin layer off of the top of the mushroom cap to allow it to sit flat. (Keep these pieces)
- Brush mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Chop the mushroom stem and cap pieces that were trimmed in the first step.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, sauté chopped mushrooms in butter, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, chicken broth and parsley. Allow to come to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low. Add Parmesan and Dijon to sauce. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally and allow sauce to thicken.
- Pull mushrooms from oven. Fill caps with sauce, layer with ham, cheese, ham, cheese. Top with another dollop of sauce and a thin layer of panko on top of the sauce.
- Bake for 7 minutes more at 400° Then broil on high for 2-3 minutes to allow panko to crisp.
Makes 6 servings – Per Serving Calories: 402 | Fat: 25g | Protein: 15g | Net Carbs: 5g
***Please note that nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels******Some links contained on this page are affiliate links and I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remunerations for any products purchased through these links***