Looking for an easy weeknight meal? Look no further. This Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu has all the classic components of a carb-laden cordon bleu - ham, cheese, chicken, but with a delicious low carb spin.
A classic recipe with a new spin
If you grew up enjoying classic Chicken Cordon Bleu, this gluten free Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is going to be right up your alley. Thin slices of tender, perfectly cooked chicken, layered with melty Swiss cheese and ham, rolled up and coated with seasoned breadcrumbs, and fried until crispy on the outside, all drizzled with a deliciously creamy dijon sauce. Is this the best Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe ever? I'm biased, but yes.
How to make chicken cordon bleu
The secret to the best Chicken Cordon Bleu is to really flatten the chicken breasts, getting them nice and thin before layering the other ingredients. I like to use plastic wrap on my countertops, then place the chicken and add another layer of plastic wrap on top. I use a rolling pin and just go at it until the chicken is about ¼ inch thick.This ensures that everything will cook evenly.
Low carb comfort food at its finest.
There is just something so comforting and classic about oozy, melty cheese, thinly sliced ham and crispy breaded chicken. Top it all off with a rich and creamy sauce, and you have a keto chicken recipe made in heaven. If you are not a fan of chicken, or you just want to mix things up a bit, this recipe is also excellent with thinly pounded pork or veal as well. This is a perfect keto budget friendly meal.
How to make keto breading
Pork rinds make an excellent low carb and gluten free breading option. It took me a long time to get past the smell of pork rinds before I could ever come around to using them in cooking. But trust me when I tell you, that when done right, you don't even know you're eating crushed pork rinds and they truly mimic a traditional breadcrumb. That being said, if you are not a fan of pork rinds, you can always substitute half almond flour and half parmesan cheese. Another great option is ground golden flaxseed
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken with Pesto Cream Sauce
- French Toast Egg Puffs
- Pan-seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream Sauce, Mushrooms and Onions
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Meat Loaf
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie
- Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- Low Carb Blackberry Clafoutis
- Sesame Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Peanut Chicken Skillet
Keto Cookbooks and Meal Plans
- Craveable Keto Cookbook
- Dairy Free Keto Cooking
- Keto Happy Hour
- 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking
- Primal Low Carb Kitchen
- Keto Desserts
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Soups and Stews
- Keto Savory Side Dishes
- Keto Condiments Dressings and Sauces
- 14 Weeks of Low Carb and Gluten Free Meal Plans
Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
For the chicken:
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total) (I get my chicken here)
- 16 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices ham
- sea salt and ground black pepper (this is the only salt I use)
- 1 ½ cups crushed pork rinds (get them here)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (I use this brand of spices)
- 1 large egg
- oil, for frying (I use this oil for frying)
For the sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the chicken:
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper or cling wrap and pound until they are bout ¼ inch thick.
- Lay two slices of Swiss cheese on top of each piece. Top with a slice of ham, and then two more slices of Swiss cheese.
- Roll each chicken breast up into a tight roll, season with salt and pepper, and wrap it tightly in cling wrap to help it hold its shape. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Combine the crushed pork rinds, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large shallow bowl.
- Crack the egg into a separate shallow bowl and fork whisk.
- Heat ½ inch of oil love medium-high heat in a large, high sided skillet.
- Dip each chicken roll up into the egg wash and then roll about in the breading mixture.
- Fry, turning to brown on all sides until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove each chicken roll up from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to help absorb any excess grease.
For the sauce:
- Combine the cream, parmesan cheese, chicken stock, Dijon mustard, butter and parsley in a small sauce pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Slice the chicken roll ups and top with the sauce before serving.
Net carbs per serving: 3.6g
- Calories: 631
- Fat: 38.5g
- Carbohydrates: 4.3g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 60g