Looking for an easy weeknight meal? Look no further. This Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu has tender and juicy chicken, layered with melty Swiss cheese and ham, rolled up and coated with seasoned breadcrumbs, and fried until crispy on the outside, all drizzled with a deliciously creamy dijon sauce.
- Chicken - for this recipe, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Ham - I used a thinly sliced Black Forest ham, but you can use any ham you prefer. You could also use bacon, pancetta, or prosciutto. All of these would make delicious options.
- Swiss cheese - While Swiss is the cheese traditionally used in a Cordon Bleu recipe, you can use any cheese you prefer. It is also excellent with smoked mozzarella or sharp white cheddar.
- Pork Rinds - the pork rinds in this recipe are used as a breading. If you are not a fan of pork rinds, you can use a mix of grated parmesan cheese and blanched almond flour. Alternatively, you can use my Nut Free Keto Breading Recipe
Step by Step Directions
1. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper or cling wrap and pound until they are bout ¼ inch thick.
2. Lay two slices of Swiss cheese on top of each piece. Top with a slice of ham, and then two more slices of Swiss cheese.
3. Roll each chicken breast up into a tight roll, season with salt and pepper, and wrap it tightly in cling wrap to help it hold its shape. Refrigerate for one hour.
4. Combine the cream, parmesan cheese, chicken stock, Dijon mustard, butter and parsley in a small sauce pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
5. Combine the crushed pork rinds, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large shallow bowl. Crack the egg into a separate shallow bowl and fork whisk. Dip each chicken roll up into the egg wash and then roll about in the breading mixture.
6. Heat ½ inch of oil love medium-high heat in a large, high sided skillet. Fry, turning to brown on all sides until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove each chicken roll up from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to help absorb any excess grease. Slice, and top with the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are not a fan of pork rinds, you can always substitute half almond flour and half parmesan cheese. Another great option is ground golden flaxseed
Yes, you can cook this in an air-fryer for 16 to 18 minutes at 350°F, flipping halfway through.
Substitutions and Variations
- Prosciutto, bacon, and pancetta all make excellent substitutions for the ham
- If you are not a fan of Swiss cheese, try making this with a smoked mozzarella, sharp white cheddar, or even cream cheese.
- Make it as a casserole - mix cubed chicken, sliced ham, and cheese together and place in a casserole dish, pour the sauce over top and bake for 25 minutes at 350°F. Sprinkle the pork rind breadcrumbs over top and broil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Want a delicious spin on traditional chicken Cordon Bleu? Try my Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Low Carb Baked Feta Pasta with Tomatoes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken with Pesto Cream Sauce
- Chili Lime Chicken with Avocado Feta Salsa
- Pan-seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream Sauce, Mushrooms and Onions
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pops
- Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- Low Carb Blackberry Clafoutis
- Sesame Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl