This Keto Chicken Pot Pie Soup is rich and creamy, with all of the flavors of a fresh baked low carb chicken pot pie. Tender chicken breast, sautéed with onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and peas, in a rich creamy broth.
Ingredients in Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken: For this chicken pot pie soup recipe, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use chicken thighs or even shredded rotisserie chicken. (Try this Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup Recipe)
- Celery: This recipe calls for 2 ribs of celery. You could also add extra onion, use shallots, or even leeks.
- Carrots: Carrots are a staple in traditional pot pie recipes. If you are looking to lower the carb count of this keto pot pie soup recipe even further, you can omit them or add any of your other favorite low carb vegetables.
- Peas: ½ cup of peas is roughly 6 net carbs. While peas aren't normally thought of as a low carb food, 6 carbs spread across an entire recipe adds negligible carbs to each serving.
- Heavy Cream: The cream adds a rich silkiness, while also helping to thicken the soup. To make it even thicker and creamier, add an additional ½ cup heavy cream or 4 ounces softened cream cheese.
- Cheddar Cheese: I used sharp white cheddar cheese, but medium cheddar, Colby jack, or even mozzarella would also work.
- Chicken Stock: If you do not have chicken stock on hand, you could also make this using beef stock or vegetable stock.
What to serve with Keto Chicken Pot Pie Soup
For more of a true chicken pot pie feel, I like to serve this with a batch of keto biscuits or crackers. Here are some of my favorite recipes - Keto Cheddar Dill Biscuits, Cheddar Jalapeno Bacon Biscuits, White Cheddar Sausage Biscuits, Parmesan Chive, and Garlic Crackers, Rosemary and Thyme Crackers
Of course, if you wanted to go a more traditional route, while still keeping things low carb, I have a recipe for that too - Keto Chicken Pot Pie
How to make chicken pot pie soup in the slow cooker
Converting this Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe to slow cooker couldn't be any easier. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. If you are home and have the time, I recommend waiting to add the cheese and heavy cream until the final hour.
Substitutions and Swaps
- Want to lower the carbs even further? Substitute the carrots and peas with lower carb vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, cabbage, bell peppers, or onions.
- Need to make this dairy free? Omit the cheese and substitute the heavy cream with full fat coconut milk.
- Use turkey in place of chicken. You can also use ground chicken, ground turkey, or even ground beef. I get all of my grass-fed, grass finished beef, heritage pork, organic chicken and sustainable seafood here
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Creamy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- Easy Peasy Keto Wonton-less Soup
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Paleo Cabbage Roll Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, and Smoked Gouda Bisque
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Chowder
More Low Carb Recipes
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Never miss a recipe! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup - low carb, gluten free
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Warm and comforting, this Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all the delicious flavors of a freshly baked pot pit, but is soup form and without all the extra carbs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot, over medium heat. Add the celery and carrots and sauté until they are crisp-tender.
- Add the chicken, garlic, salt, thyme, onion powder and black pepper. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pour a little bit of the chicken stock into the pot to deglaze. Scrape up and mix in any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining chicken stock, bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream, cheddar cheese and peas, simmer for an addition 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently.
- net carbs per serving: 3.1g
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this on the stove top and adding a little extra heavy cream to help bring it back to life.
- For a thicker, creamier soup, add more heavy cream and cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 21.8g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 24.6g
Keywords: keto soup recipes, chicken pot pie soup, gluten free soup, comfort food recipes, chicken recipes, soup recipes, keto chicken soup, low carb chicken soup, the best creamy chicken soup recipe, keto chicken pot pie
This is sooooooo good! i think it's the 5th time i've made it in 3 months! it's a snowy Sunday here in Indiana and a perfect day to make this again for a 6th time! i usually use a mirepoix blend, a bag of mixed frozen veggies from Walmart and add cubed rutabaga to make even more filling without the carbs of potatoes.
i make honey beer bread (both the keto recipe and "regular") to go with.... doesn't get any better than this!
Steve Jackson says
I added a quarter cup of chopped fresh tarragon, which made this a real standout
Joanne Johnson says
omg! this was so tasty! I added onion, mushrooms and some red pepper and it was soooo good! my husband said "There's a lot of people paying big money and not eating as good as we are!" THIS is a keeper!
Heaven in a bowl! I have enough for a couple of days unless my husband eats it all. It tastes like the chicken pot pie I used to make except in a soup. Definitely recommend.
margaret newman says
...let me just tell you a secret....I wish I was sick and it was cold out! I could eat this for all 3 meals AND snacks~. I added some frozen spinich and about 1/2 cup frozen peas; added the rest of the cream in the bottle, maybe 1/4 cup and one handful of chese extra..............the result? Pure Heaven!
So glad I stumbled across this recipe as I already had everything in hand…. It was fantastic, definitely will make this again and again!! Thank you