This low carb sesame chicken egg roll in a bowl is a delicious spin on the classic pork version that everyone knows and loves.
A whole30 spin on traditional keto egg roll
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am obsessed with my Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe. I eat it multiple times per week. When I find a recipe I like, I stick with it. I am the type of person that can eat the same foods over and over without getting tired of them.
In addition to the egg roll in a bowl, I also eat my Dill Chicken Salad recipe every week. They are both really easy to prepare, making for the perfect easy keto meal. Great for those hectic weeknights where you need a delicious 30 minute meal, or a quick and easy one pot meal. Both of these recipes keep well in the fridge, making them excellent for meal prep. As we all know, staying prepared and setting yourself up for success is essential to losing weight on a keto diet.
Nailing the flavors in this asian keto meal
After eating the pork variation of Egg Roll in a Bowl for so long, I started changing things up each time I would make it. Adding a little more ginger, switching up the meats, using more vinegar etc. Each time was just as good as the last. But I decided that it was time to make a Sesame Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl variation.
You will see that it shares most of the same ingredients as the pork egg roll in a bowl recipe, but in different proportions and with one big change. Instead of using coleslaw, I made this chicken egg roll in a bowl with broccoli slaw. It is SO good, and it really adds to the dish. Once the broccoli slaw cooks down and gets tender, it almost takes on a noodle like texture.
How to make keto broccoli slaw
Most grocery stores carry broccoli slaw, you just might not know it because you have never looked for it. If you can’t find it, I recommend asking a produce clerk to point you in the right direction. Alternately, you can always substitute and equal amount of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix. You can even do half coleslaw and half broccoli slaw. That is one of my favorite ways to eat it.
Whole30 compliant Chinese food recipe inspiration
I think one of the reasons I love these recipes so much is that they have the classic Asian inspired flavors that I missed from take out. Now I can have my healthier version of Chinese take out while keeping it low carb and Whole30 compliant. Healthier Chinese food recipes? Yes, please!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Keto Chicken Pad Thai
- Paleo Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Easy Peasy Wonton-less Soup with Pork Meatballs
- Chinese Sausage Fried “Rice
- Asian Tuna Cakes
- One Pot Keto Sesame Chicken and Broccoli
- Paleo Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Sesame Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (I use this brand)
- 1 small red onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- 5 green onions, sliced on a bias (white and green portions separated)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast or thigh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more to taste (sub whole30 compliant hot sauce)
- 20 ounces broccoli slaw
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos for Whole30 (get it here or here)
- 2 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (I use this brand)
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and white portions of the green onions to the skillet. Sauté until the green onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken, ginger, salt, pepper, and Sriracha to the pan. Sauté until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the broccoli slaw, soy sauce, and vinegar and sauté until the broccoli is tender.
- Top with the green parts of the green onions and the sesame seeds before serving. Squirt some additional Sriracha over the top, if desired.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 3.3g
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 19.5g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 15g
DAIRY-FREE KETO COOKING: A Nutritional Approach to Health and Wellness. With 150 Squeaky Clean Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes
Check out my other books – HERE
Using only approachable and accessible, nutrient dense, real food ingredients, I put together a dairy-free keto roadmap that does not require a search for unfamiliar specialty ingredients or that you have a gourmet kitchen. Each one of these delectable recipes is rooted in simplicity and calls for ingredients that can be found at your local grocery store. I’m showing you how to incorporate dairy-free substitutions that go far beyond the coconut.
In addition to tantalizing your palate with tasty recipes, Dairy-Free Keto Cooking will teach you how to restore your health and wellness, while living a lifestyle that nourishes you in mind, body, and spirit. Whether your goal is to lose weight, heal your body from the inside out, or simply find your own personal version of food freedom, I’m here to help you along in your journey to finding your personal path to wellness.
YOU CAN GRAB A COPY – HERE
Dairy-Free Keto Cooking features something for everyone. If you suffer from dairy intolerances or food allergies, this is the book for you. If you are someone who just loves easy to make, delicious food, then this book is for you. I added a bit of everything everything, including suggestions for adding or reintroducing dairy for all the cheese loving, quesophiles.
With recipes like this, how could anyone possibly feel deprived?
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Cowboy Style Beef Ragout
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Ribs
- Loco Moco
- Pork Tenderloin with Dill Sauce
- Flourless Chocolate Lava Cake
- Easy Peasy Cuban Picadillo
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Maple Breakfast Sausage
- Crab Salad Stuffed Avocado
- Scotch Eggs
- Supreme Pizza Soup
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Blackened Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo
- and much, much more!
I wrote this book with everyone in mind and it is complete with several different meal plans (paleo, AIP, Egg free, nut free, 30 minute meals) as well as tons of valuable resources. Dairy-Free Keto Cooking will quickly become your go-to cookbook!