This low carb sesame chicken egg roll in a bowl is a delicious spin on the classic pork version that everyone knows and loves.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am obsessed with my Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe. I eat it multiple times per week. When I find a recipe I like, I stick with it. I am the type of person that can eat the same foods over and over without getting tired of them. In addition to the egg roll in a bowl, I also eat my Dill Chicken Salad recipe every week as well. They are both really easy to prepare, making for the perfect easy keto meal. Great for those hectic weeknights where you need a delicious 30 minute meal, or a quick and easy one pot meal. Both of these recipes keep well in the fridge, making them excellent for meal prep. As well all know, staying prepared and setting yourself up for success is essential to losing weight on a keto diet.
After eating the pork variation for so long, I started changing things up each time I would make it. Adding a little more ginger, switching up the meats, using more vinegar etc. Each time was just as good as the last. But I decided that it was time to make a Sesame Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl variation. You will see that it shares most of the same ingredients as the pork egg roll in a bowl recipe, but in different proportions and with one big change. Instead of using coleslaw, I made this chicken egg roll in a bowl with broccoli slaw. It is SO good, and it really adds to the dish. Once the broccoli slaw cooks down and gets tender, it almost takes on a noodle like texture.
Most grocery stores carry broccoli slaw, you just might not know it because you have never looked for it. If you can’t find it, I recommend asking a produce clerk to point you in the right direction. Alternately, you can always substitute and equal amount of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix. You can even do half coleslaw and half broccoli slaw. That is one of my favorite ways to eat it.
I think one of the reasons I love these recipes so much is that they have the classic Asian inspired flavors that I missed from take out. Now I can have my healthier version of Chinese take out while keeping it low carb and keto friendly. Low carb chinese food recipes? Yes, please!
Also, making this recipe just gave me a good excuse to use my lightsaber chopsticks. I’m basically just an 80’s nerd child, trapped in an adult 39 year old body!
My new book – Dairy Free Keto Cooking is 42% off right now. Only $20 for 170 recipes and 100 pages of resources. YOU CAN PRE-ORDER IT HERE
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (I use this brand)
- 1 small red onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- 5 green onions, sliced on a bias (white and green portions separated)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast or thigh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or garlic chili sauce, or more to taste
- 20 ounces broccoli slaw
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos (get it here or here)
- 2 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (I use this brand)
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and white portions of the green onions to the skillet. Sauté until the green onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the chicken, ginger, salt, pepper, and Sriracha to the pan. Sauté until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the broccoli slaw, soy sauce, and vinegar and sauté until the broccoli is tender.
- Top with the green parts of the green onions and the sesame seeds before serving. Squirt some additional Sriracha over the top, if desired.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 3.3g
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 19.5g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 15g