This Keto Blackberry Clafoutis is warm and comforting with a texture that feels like a cross between flan and a low carb pancake. It just melts in your mouth.
What is clafoutis and how do you pronounce it?
Don’t let the name intimidate you: clafoutis (pronounced kluh-foo-tee) is a baked dessert made with a fancy sweetened pancake batter, poured over fresh fruit. After the batter bakes around the fruit, it has a texture similar to a custard or flan. If you like fruit pies, then this low carb clafoutis will be right up your alley!
This keto clafoutis is made with blackberries. You can, of course, customize the flavors, but I love the tartness of fresh blackberry, paired with the sweetness of the gluten free clafoutis batter. It goes great with sugar free vanilla ice cream, or even my Strawberry Cheesecake Keto Ice Cream.
How is traditional clafoutis made?
A traditional French clafoutis is made with whole cherries, unpitted. Because cherries are a bit higher in sugar and this is a keto dessert recipe, I recommend blackberries. I’ve also included some other flavor pairings below.
This recipe calls for a clafoutis dish -- if you don’t have one, you can use a shallow dish. Whatever you’d use to make a quiche will work.
How to make gluten free blackberry clafoutis
Because this is a keto clafoutis, we’re not using a regular gluten free mix because those are usually loaded with brown rice flour or some other high carb option. Instead, this Keto Blackberry Clafoutis is made with coconut flour. You don’t need a lot, and the taste won’t overwhelm the other flavors of the recipe. Plus, using coconut flour makes this a nut free keto dessert.
Fun ways to mix up this keto blackberry clafoutis
If you’re looking for dairy free keto dessert recipe, use coconut cream instead of heavy cream and butter flavored coconut oil instead of regular butter.
Want to mix up the flavors?
- Swap blackberries for raspberries
- Try blueberries instead of blackberries -- this would be great for brunch
- Add a bit of pure lemon extract to the batter
- For a fall keto recipe, use sugar free dried cranberries and add pure orange extract to the batter
Check out some of my other favorite sugar free dessert recipes:
- Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Pops
- Keto Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake
- Keto Pecan Pie
- Keto Strawberry Shortcake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Lemonade Keto Cupcakes
- Low Carb Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Chocolate Muffins
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Keto No Bake Cookies