This Keto Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect spring and summer low carb, gluten free dessert. With moist layers of cake, fresh whipped cream and sweet strawberries, this is a perfectly balanced keto treat.
- Almond Flour - I recommend using a blanched almond flour and sifting it, or using a superfine almond flour. It will give you a much more cake-like texture.
- Strawberries - Shortcake is traditionally done with strawberries, but you can use any fruits or berries you want in this recipe. For more keto strawberry dessert recipes, check out my Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes, or my Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Monkfruit - For this recipe, I used powdered monkfruit. You can use any sweetener you prefer. Just be mindful of its ratio to sugar and adjust the amounts accordingly.
- Cream of Tartar - this helps to stabilize the whipped egg whites and prevent the sweetener from crystallizing. It also acts as a leavening agent.
- Almond Milk - If you are not a fan of almond milk, you can sub heavy cream, coconut milk, or the nut milk of your choice.
Step by step directions
1. Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar together until thick and frothy. Add the sweetener and whip until thickened. Add the egg yolks to the mixture and beat until thick and creamy.
2. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to remove any clumps. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, mixing slowly so that you do not deflate the egg mixture.
3. Combine the melted butter, almond milk and vanilla extract together and add to the batter, again folding gently until just combined.
4. Grease and line two - 8-inch sandwich cake pans and spoon half of the gluten free shortcake batter into each, smoothing it out carefully.
5. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, checking at the 45 minute mark to see if a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool the cakes on a cooling rack.
6. Once cooled, very carefully cut each cake in half – the outside edge can be a bit crumbly so use a very sharp knife and a gentle hand. While the cakes are cooling, make the keto whipped cream - Combine the heavy cream, sweetener and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat until thick and creamy. Next, we start building our keto strawberry shortcake.
7. Complete each layer by spreading a layer of whipped cream on top of a cake layer, sprinkling some strawberries on top of the whipped cream and topping with another layer of cake.
8. Repeat until you have used all four layers of the cake. Add remaining whipped cream and strawberries to the top.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's actually easier than you might think. Combine heavy cream, sweetener (to taste) and a splash of vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat until thick and creamy.
I have only tested this low carb shortcake recipe as written so I cannot guarantee its success with all coconut flour. Coconut flour is not a 1:1 substitution with almond flour. It is extremely absorbent, making is necessary to add more liquid and more egg.
A good rule of thumb is to substitute 1 cup of almond flour with ¼ of coconut flour and one additional egg for every ¼ cup of coconut flour. It may also be necessary to double the liquid called for in the recipe as well. If the mixture seems too dry, simply add more liquid, a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency. If your mixture is too wet, add additional coconut flour, mixing in 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
It is a cake that is traditionally made with biscuit dough - think sweet biscuit. While I opted to make this in a larger cake format, you typically see them in single serving portions, and often with a single "sweet biscuit" as the base. You will also see strawberry shortcake made with scones. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
Recipe tips and variations
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the filling before whipping for a strawberry lemonade flavor combo. Try these Keto Lemon Glazed Cupcakes.
- Swap the strawberries in this keto strawberry shortcake for your favorite berry: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, whatever you'd like!
- Serve with a scoop of my Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Make them mini: scoop the shortcake batter into a silicone cupcake mold filling ⅓ of the way, then bake at 350°F until the tops are golden brown. Layer the mini cakes, whipped filling, and strawberries and repeat the process twice for a stacked mini strawberry shortcake
More Keto Dessert Recipes
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.