This Keto Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect spring and summer low carb dessert. With moist cake, fresh whipped cream and sweet strawberries, this is a perfectly balanced keto treat.
Keto Strawberry Shortcake: the queen of low carb desserts
Aside from being completely visually stunning, this Keto Strawberry Shortcake is one of those desserts that is just layered with flavor all the way through. Light and airy gluten free shortcake, is layered with perfectly fluffy vanilla keto whipped cream and juicy strawberries … what’s not to love? When I was a kid we regularly had strawberry shortcake for dessert. It was made with those spongy little single serving angel food cakes, strawberries covered in sugary strawberry glaze and topped with cool whip. I’m not saying that I didn’t love it, because lets face it, it was delicious and I devoured every last bite. However, it is so nice to be able to enjoy a healthier, yet still decadent version of a childhood favorite. This sugar free strawberry shortcake recipe is sure to please children and adults alike.
What is shortcake? and how do you make the best strawberry shortcake recipe?
You might be wondering … what’s so special about shortcake? Or what shortcake even is? No, it’s not a cake that is just short in stature. It is a cake that is traditionally made with biscuit dough. It is essentially a sweet biscuit. While we opted to make this in a larger cake format, you typically see them in single serving portions, and often with a single “sweet biscuit” as the base. You will also see strawberry shortcake made with scones. It’s really just a matter of personal preference. But any way you choose to serve it, the end result is a delicious summery dessert.
To make this a nut free shortbread, can I substitute all coconut flour for the almond flour.
I have only tested this low carb shortcake recipe as written. Coconut flour is not a 1:1 substitution. Coconut flour is extremely absorbent, so when substituting coconut flour, it is necessary to add more liquid and more egg. A good rule of thumb is to substitute 1 cup of almond flour with 1/4 of coconut flour and one additional egg for every 1/4 cup of coconut flour. It may also be necessary to double the liquid called for in the recipe as well. If the mixture seems too dry, simply add more liquid, a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency. If your mixture is too wet, add additional coconut flour, mixing in 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Searching for sugar free desserts, keto desserts, or gluten free desserts? This one checks all three boxes!
This low carb shortcake recipe really covers all the bases. You can even make it dairy-free by using coconut cream for the low carb whipped cream. You can get my favorite coconut cream here. I like this brand because it doesn’t have a strong coconut flavor … chances are, you won’t even notice the difference. Traditional shortcake is loaded with sugar and is not gluten free. This gluten free shortcake recipe is made using almond flour and coconut flour in place of traditional flour. To make it sugar free, we used erythritol in place of sugar.
Some fun ways to mix up this gluten free strawberry shortcake recipe:
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the filling before whipping for a strawberry lemonade flavor combo
- Swap strawberries for your favorite berry: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, whatever you’d like!
- Serve with a scoop of my Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Make them mini: scoop the shortcake batter into a silicone cupcake mold filling 1/3 of the way, then bake at 350°F until the tops are golden brown. Layer the “cupcake”, whipped filling, and strawberries and repeat the process twice for a stacked mini strawberry shortcake
In addition to this Keto Strawberry Shortcake, check out some of my other favorite keto dessert recipes:
- Paleo Mixed Berry Coconut Creamsicles – Low Carb Popsicles
- Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Mini Keto Blueberry Cheesecakes
- Keto Key Lime Pie Jars
- Low Carb Dairy Free Peanut Butter and Jelly PB&J Smoothie
- Keto Dairy Free Shamrock Shake
for the cake:
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (get it here)
- 1 cup powdered erythritol, sifted (I use this brand)
- 3 cups blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter, measured solid and then melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use this brand)
for the filling:
for the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar together until thick and frothy. Add the powdered erythritol and whip until thickened.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixture and beat until thick and creamy.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to remove any clumps.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, mixing slowly so that you do not deflate the egg mixture.
- Combine the melted butter, almond milk and vanilla extract together and add to the batter, again folding gently until just combined.
- Grease and line two – 8-inch sandwich cake pans and spoon half of the batter into each, smoothing it out carefully.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, checking at the 45 minute mark to see if a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cakes on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, very carefully cut each cake in half – the outside edge can be a bit crumbly so use a very sharp knife and a gentle hand.
for the filling:
- Combine the heavy cream, erythritol and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat until thick and creamy.
putting it all together:
- Complete each layer by spreading a layer of whipped cream on top of a cake layer, sprinkling some strawberries on top of the whipped cream and topping with another layer of cake. Repeat until you have used all for layer of cake.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 8.9g
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Calories: 705
- Fat: 64.7g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Protein: 17.1g
Keywords: keto desserts, low carb desserts, keto strawberry shortcake, low carb shortcake, low carb strawberry recipes
DAIRY-FREE KETO COOKING: A Nutritional Approach to Health and Wellness. With 150 Squeaky Clean Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes
Check out my other books – HERE
Using only approachable and accessible, nutrient dense, real food ingredients, I put together a dairy-free keto roadmap that does not require a search for unfamiliar specialty ingredients or that you have a gourmet kitchen. Each one of these delectable recipes is rooted in simplicity and calls for ingredients that can be found at your local grocery store. I’m showing you how to incorporate dairy-free substitutions that go far beyond the coconut.
In addition to tantalizing your palate with tasty recipes, Dairy-Free Keto Cooking will teach you how to restore your health and wellness, while living a lifestyle that nourishes you in mind, body, and spirit. Whether your goal is to lose weight, heal your body from the inside out, or simply find your own personal version of food freedom, I’m here to help you along in your journey to finding your personal path to wellness.
YOU CAN GRAB A COPY – HERE
Dairy-Free Keto Cooking features something for everyone. If you suffer from dairy intolerances or food allergies, this is the book for you. If you are someone who just loves easy to make, delicious food, then this book is for you. I added a bit of everything everything, including suggestions for adding or reintroducing dairy for all the cheese loving, quesophiles.
With recipes like this, how could anyone possibly feel deprived?
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Cowboy Style Beef Ragout
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Ribs
- Loco Moco
- Pork Tenderloin with Dill Sauce
- Flourless Chocolate Lava Cake
- Easy Peasy Cuban Picadillo
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Maple Breakfast Sausage
- Crab Salad Stuffed Avocado
- Scotch Eggs
- Supreme Pizza Soup
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Blackened Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo
- and much, much more!
I wrote this book with everyone in mind and it is complete with several different meal plans (paleo, AIP, Egg free, nut free, 30 minute meals) as well as tons of valuable resources. Dairy-Free Keto Cooking will quickly become your go-to cookbook!
YOU CAN GRAB A COPY –HERE
Naomi is the force behind Naomi Sherman | Food Creative. She is passionate about recipe development, food photography and styling. An accomplished home cook who was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease eight years ago, Naomi started to explore the connection between healthy, whole food and her symptoms, and a new love was born. Naomi loves nothing more than to take old-school favourites and give them a healthy twist. “There is nothing more fun than creating an amazing dish and then being able to style and photograph it to share with the world.” She fiercely believes that what you put in your body is one of the most important factors for your physical, and mental, wellbeing.