This Keto Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect spring and summer low carb, gluten free dessert recipe. With moist layers of cake, layer with fresh whipped cream and sweet strawberries, this is a perfect keto treat.
for the cake:
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (get it here)
- 1 cup powdered monkfruit, sifted (I use this brand) code PEACE for 20% off
- 3 cups blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter, measured solid and then melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I use this brand)
for the filling:
- 1 cup hulled and quartered strawberries
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered monkfruit
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
for the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar together until thick and frothy. Add the sweetener and whip until thickened.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixture and beat until thick and creamy.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to remove any clumps.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, mixing slowly so that you do not deflate the egg mixture.
- Combine the melted butter, almond milk and vanilla extract together and add to the batter, again folding gently until just combined.
- Grease and line two - 8-inch sandwich cake pans and spoon half of the batter into each, smoothing it out carefully.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, checking at the 45 minute mark to see if a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cakes on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, very carefully cut each cake in half – the outside edge can be a bit crumbly so use a very sharp knife and a gentle hand.
for the filling:
- Combine the heavy cream, sweetener and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and using an electric hand mixer, beat until thick and creamy.
putting it all together:
- Complete each layer by spreading a layer of whipped cream on top of a cake layer, sprinkling some strawberries on top of the whipped cream and topping with another layer of cake. Repeat until you have used all for layer of cake.
- Be sure to let the cake fully cool before cutting it, or it will crumble. Use a sharp knife and a steady hand.
- To make this recipe dairy free, simply replace the heavy cream with coconut milk, and the butter with butter flavored coconut oil.
- If you are not a fan of monkfruit, you can use any sweetener you prefer. Another one of my favorites it King Arthur Baking Sugar Alternative.
- Net Carbs Per Serving: 8.9g
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 705
- Fat: 64.7g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Protein: 17.1g
Keywords: keto desserts, low carb desserts, keto strawberry shortcake, low carb shortcake, low carb strawberry recipes, gluten free cake, dairy free dessert recipes