This cajun cauliflower rice has all the perfectly spicy flavors of a Louisiana style cajun rice recipe, but without all the extra carbs.
How many carbs in cauliflower rice?
If you’re wondering how many carbs are in cauliflower, the answer is not nearly as many as you might suspect. Cauliflower is loaded with fiber, making it very low in net carbs. Not only is cauliflower a great low carb substitution for pasta, rice, and potato recipes, but it is also great for those with various different food allergies, or those with gluten allergies or celiac. It’s a staple in the low carb and keto world and is much lower in carbs than the traditional starchy foods it replaces in recipe. Cauliflower is considered to be a low starch vegetable and also low glycemic. Below you will find a break down of the carbs in cauliflower in the most popular variations.
- 1 pound cauliflower 24 net carbs
- Large head of cauliflower (7-8 inches) 20-22 net carbs
- Medium head of cauliflower (5-6 inches) 15-17 net carbs
- Small head of cauliflower (3-4 inches) 8-10 net carbs
- A cup of cauliflower 4.7-5.3 net carbs, riced is 4.7 net carbs
- An ounce of cauliflower 1.4 net carbs
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower 2.7-3.3 net carbs
Keto in New Orleans
My husband Jon and I are big fans of New Orleans. In fact, it is one of our favorite cities in the world. We visit every year and we love everything about it – from all the creole and cajun food, to the brass bands, local art, and historical architecture.
Whether you are there for Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, or just an idle Tuesday, the city comes alive at night with the vibrantly colorful sights and sounds that only New Orleans has to offer. I leave a piece of myself there every time I visit and I always take with me, a little extra cushioning.
The food scene in NOLA is anything but low carb. That is not to say that you can’t find some good keto friendly options like oysters, and crawfish, but the bulk of the cuisine is very high in carbs. When it comes to travel indulgences, New Orleans is a place that I always choose to enjoy myself and all the carbs that come along with it.
But when I am at home and I am craving those classic creole and cajun flavors, I am always trying my best to recreate some of my favorite dishes into keto friendly versions, like this Muffuletta Chicken and New Orleans Style Briny Olive Salad. I even have a Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Keto Jambalaya recipe in my cookbook – Craveable Keto.
If you are looking for a side dish with all the classic flavors of cajun dirty rice, but without all the carbs, look no further. This is amazing served alongside just about any protein, but among my favorites is this Cajun Whole Roasted Chicken.
In addition to this Cajun Cauliflower Rice Recipe, check out some of my other favorite keto side dish recipes:
- Keto Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Skillet Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Paprika Roasted Radishes
- Lemon Pepper Green Beans
- Three Cheese Ham and Broccoli Casserole
- Cheesy Garlic Creamed Spinach
- Roasted Garlic Turnip Puree with Chorizo
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, more to taste (I use this brand)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, and sauté until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the stock and the seasoning and cook, stirring often, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until all of the stock is evaporated and the rice is tender but not mushy.
- Add the bell peppers and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 4g
- Category: side dishes
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: cajun, creole
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 57
- Fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: low carb side dishes, keto side dishes, cajun rice recipe, keto cauliflower rice, keto rice recipes, keto food blog, low carb blog, low carb recipes
DAIRY-FREE KETO COOKING: A Nutritional Approach to Health and Wellness. With 150 Squeaky Clean Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes
Check out my other books – HERE
Using only approachable and accessible, nutrient dense, real food ingredients, I put together a dairy-free keto roadmap that does not require a search for unfamiliar specialty ingredients or that you have a gourmet kitchen. Each one of these delectable recipes is rooted in simplicity and calls for ingredients that can be found at your local grocery store. I’m showing you how to incorporate dairy-free substitutions that go far beyond the coconut.
In addition to tantalizing your palate with tasty recipes, Dairy-Free Keto Cooking will teach you how to restore your health and wellness, while living a lifestyle that nourishes you in mind, body, and spirit. Whether your goal is to lose weight, heal your body from the inside out, or simply find your own personal version of food freedom, I’m here to help you along in your journey to finding your personal path to wellness.
YOU CAN GRAB A COPY – HERE
Dairy-Free Keto Cooking features something for everyone. If you suffer from dairy intolerances or food allergies, this is the book for you. If you are someone who just loves easy to make, delicious food, then this book is for you. I added a bit of everything everything, including suggestions for adding or reintroducing dairy for all the cheese loving, quesophiles.
With recipes like this, how could anyone possibly feel deprived?
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Cowboy Style Beef Ragout
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Ribs
- Loco Moco
- Pork Tenderloin with Dill Sauce
- Flourless Chocolate Lava Cake
- Easy Peasy Cuban Picadillo
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Maple Breakfast Sausage
- Crab Salad Stuffed Avocado
- Scotch Eggs
- Supreme Pizza Soup
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Blackened Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo
- and much, much more!
I wrote this book with everyone in mind and it is complete with several different meal plans (paleo, AIP, Egg free, nut free, 30 minute meals) as well as tons of valuable resources. Dairy-Free Keto Cooking will quickly become your go-to cookbook!