I love muffuletta. It is my all-time favorite New Orleans classic. Jon and I make our way to the “The Big Easy” once every year or two, and getting a muffuletta is always close to the top of our list! So close to the top in fact, that stopping by Franks and getting a muffuletta is usually the first thing we do once we get into the city. This muffuletta chicken is a way for me to get a taste of New Orleans from home. By skipping the bread and turning it into a chicken dish, I can indulge in the rich, deliciousness of muffuletta anytime I want, in a version that fits my low carb lifestyle. I love being able to enjoy all my cajun favorites in a gluten free version and without all the carbs.
More low carb chicken recipesPrint
Keto Muffuletta Chicken
- Yield: 4 Serving 1x
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts (4 breasts total)
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick)
- 4 ounces salami, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces mortadella, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces capocollo, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Olive Salad (Recipe Below)
- 1 ½ cups giardiniera pickled vegetables
- 1 cup green olives
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- ½ cup pepperoncini
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup capers
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, pan-sear the chicken breasts in the butter until they are golden brown and slightly crispy, about 8 minutes each side.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Place the chicken breasts on a rimmed baking sheet. Layer each breast with the salami, provolone, mortadella, mozzarella and capocollo. Bake on the middle rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the oven and top with a heaping portion of Olive Salad.
- In a food processor, combine the giardiniera, green olives, Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, red wine vinegar, roasted red peppers, olive oil and garlic. Pulse until all the ingredients are roughly chopped.
- Pulse in the oregano, basil and black pepper until incorporated.
- Stir in the capers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
MUFFULETTA CHICKEN PER SERVING: (This includes the olive salad) 846 Calories; 64g Fat (69.5% calories from fat); 57g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carb
OLIVE SALAD PER SERVING: (The olive salad makes 20 servings) 56 Calories; 5g Fat (84.8% calories from fat); trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2 Net Carbs
TIP FOR THE OLIVE SALAD: This salad tastes better, the longer it has time to sit and let the flavors come together. You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Peace, Love, and Low Carb has so so so many delightful recipes but this one ranks right up at the top for me. Thank you for sharing all your delicious ideas with us! <3
Jennifer Theriot says
I made this by following the recipe exactly. Another reviewer mentioned that she used a wet salt brine for her chicken breasts for about 30 minutes prior to cooking, and I did that as well. ***PRIMO DELISH! ***
I served it with my own concoction of no-yolk egg noodles to which I added Mrs. Dash Table Blend, butter, sour cream and green onions. (*** I do realize that noodles aren't low carb, but everyone needs a cheat day **)
Holly Currah says
I am salivating just looking at this! I'll be trying this recipe this weekend but, like any of your recipes that I try, already know it will be delish!
I made this for dinner tonight and it's amazing! My husband and I were both raised in Louisiana, but now live in the Northwest... where you say muffletta and they say :"huh?!" Coudn't find the mortadella or capocolla, but we made do with ham and pastrami. Your olive salad recipe is the best we've ever made and we've tried quite a few. Gonna try some on our next pizza!!!
NancyB from Many LA says
We are from the New Orleans area and now live in west-central LA. We make muffulettas using low-carb tortillas. Delicious!
Fiona Jones says
This was so delightful! I was feeling a little lazy, so I broiled chicken thighs with a little smoked paprika & garlic salt & then put the meats & cheese right on top & back in the oven at 350. Soooo good!
Bobbi Griffith says
YUM-O!! I work for DeLallo Italian Foods and olives are one of our specialties. I will have to scoop some up to take home and try this out!!
Omg!!! Just made this recipe!! Totally Awesome!!
Made this the other night. So good! The only thing I changed was to brine my chicken for about an hour in salt water prior to making this. The salami on this is just amazing.
I've used the olive salad on baked fish as well. Just season some fish, bake in oven at 350, and about 5 min prior to being done, top with the olive salad to warm through. Very good.