This thick, cheesy soup is not for the faint of heart. But if you are a quesophile like myself, then you have come to the right place. It is warm and comforting. Everything a good soup should be. This soup is really easy to modify to the ingredients you have on hand. Mix things up a bit and try substituting different cheeses. Smoked cheddar and gouda are two of my favorites to add in. I also like to add more vegetable when I can – red peppers, mushrooms, asparagus. You name it! You can’t go wrong with a delectably, cheesy vegetable soup.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb soup recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Chowder
- Paleo Cabbage Roll Soup
- Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Easy Peasy Wonton-less Soup
Also, don’t forget to check out my Slow Cooker Soups and Stews Ebook:
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Low Carb Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese Soup
Thick and hearty! Everything a warm and comforting soup should be!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 leek, cleaned and trimmed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter, onion, garlic, sea salt and black pepper to the pan. Saute until the onions are nice and caramelized. About 20 minutes.
- Heat slow cooker on high setting. Add caramelized onions, cauliflower, broccoli, leek, chicken stock, heavy cream and a little sea salt and black pepper.
- Mix all ingredients together. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- After 5-6 hours the vegetables will be nice and tender. Using a potato masher, mash up the vegetables. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender for this. (I found that the vegetables were soft enough that I just gave them a quick mash and the soup was the exact texture I was looking for.)
- Mix in cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, more salt and pepper (if desired) and allow to cook 1 additional hour.
Per Serving - Calories: 235 | Fat: 18g | Protein: 13g | Net Carbs: 5g