This Creamy Cajun Sausage and Potato Soup is the perfect fall comfort food recipe. It is gluten free, and even Whole30 compliant.
This easy cajun soup recipe comes together so quickly and is a nutrient powerhouse. The flavor and texture of the broth is reminiscent of gumbo, but without the need to make a flour based roux. That keeps this recipe gluten free, and also Whole30 compliant. For a low carb version, check out my recommendations for substitutions below. Speaking of gumbo, if you want to eat this gumbo style, it is amazing with white rice or cauliflower rice. If you aren't concerned with keeping this soup recipe dairy free, try serving it on top of my Buttery Cauliflower Rice Pilaf recipe.
- olive oil
- andouille sausage
- red bell pepper
- sea salt
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- rubbed sage
- cayenne pepper
- red pepper flakes
- chicken stock
- yukon gold potatoes
- full fat coconut milk
- green onions
How to convert to slow cooker
Short on time and want to make this recipe less hands on? While some recipes are a little trickier to convert to slow cooker, this is a great Whole30 soup recipe for the slow cooker since you can literally just dump in all of the ingredients and go. If you are going the slow cooker route, you can skip the olive oil. It is only used for browning the andouille. But if you do have a few extra minutes, I highly recommend browning the andouille before adding it to the slow cooker. It will help create more depth of flavor.
Substitutions and Swaps
- Not a fan of spicy foods? No problem! If heat isn't your thing, simply omit the cayenne and red pepper flakes and swap out the andouille for any type of sausage you prefer. From time to time, I like to switch things up and make this with a chicken apple sausage.
- Want to make this a low carb cajun soup? Just swap out the potatoes for cauliflower rice or florets, omit the carrots.
- Not a fan of coconut milk? Simply substitute heavy cream or any other type of full-fat milk substitute you prefer. You can also skip the milk altogether and puree half of the cooked veggies with an immersion blender to give the soup a silky, creamy texture.
- Have some cajun seasoning on hand? You can swap out all the spices in this recipe for 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning. Then from there, taste and add more as needed. You may also need to add some additional salt.
- Mix and match your favorite vegetables! While this recipe calls for the holy trinity of bell peppers, onions, and celery, you can sub in any of your favorite vegetables. This dairy free soup recipe is a great way to use up vegetables that have reached that "use it, or lose it" stage.
- Whole30 compliant andouille sausage brands - Niman Ranch, Framani, Teton Waters Ranch
Other keto and whole30 soup recipes you might enjoy
- Creamy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup with Bacon
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Keto Wontonless Soup
- Paleo Cabbage Roll Soup
- Slow Cooker Smoked Cheddar and Sausage Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, and Smoked Gouda Bisque
- Slow Cooker Lentil and Italian Sausage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Bacon Chowder
Keto Cookbooks and Meal Plans
- Craveable Keto Cookbook
- Dairy Free Keto Cooking
- Keto Happy Hour
- 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking
- Primal Low Carb Kitchen
- Keto Desserts
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Soups and Stews
- Keto Condiments Dressings and Sauces
- 14 Weeks of Low Carb and Gluten Free Meal Plans