This Creamy Cajun Sausage and Potato Soup is the perfect fall comfort food recipe. It is gluten free, and even Whole30 compliant.
This easy cajun soup recipe comes together so quickly and is a nutrient powerhouse. The flavor and texture of the broth is reminiscent of gumbo, but without the need to make a flour based roux. That keeps this recipe gluten free, and also Whole30 compliant. For a low carb version, check out my recommendations for substitutions below. Speaking of gumbo, if you want to eat this gumbo style, it is amazing with white rice or cauliflower rice. If you aren't concerned with keeping this soup recipe dairy free, try serving it on top of my Buttery Cauliflower Rice Pilaf recipe.
- olive oil
- andouille sausage
- red bell pepper
- sea salt
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- rubbed sage
- cayenne pepper
- red pepper flakes
- chicken stock
- yukon gold potatoes
- full fat coconut milk
- green onions
How to convert to slow cooker
Short on time and want to make this recipe less hands on? While some recipes are a little trickier to convert to slow cooker, this is a great Whole30 soup recipe for the slow cooker since you can literally just dump in all of the ingredients and go. If you are going the slow cooker route, you can skip the olive oil. It is only used for browning the andouille. But if you do have a few extra minutes, I highly recommend browning the andouille before adding it to the slow cooker. It will help create more depth of flavor.
Substitutions and Swaps
- Not a fan of spicy foods? No problem! If heat isn't your thing, simply omit the cayenne and red pepper flakes and swap out the andouille for any type of sausage you prefer. From time to time, I like to switch things up and make this with a chicken apple sausage.
- Want to make this a low carb cajun soup? Just swap out the potatoes for cauliflower rice or florets, omit the carrots.
- Not a fan of coconut milk? Simply substitute heavy cream or any other type of full-fat milk substitute you prefer. You can also skip the milk altogether and puree half of the cooked veggies with an immersion blender to give the soup a silky, creamy texture.
- Have some cajun seasoning on hand? You can swap out all the spices in this recipe for 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning. Then from there, taste and add more as needed. You may also need to add some additional salt.
- Mix and match your favorite vegetables! While this recipe calls for the holy trinity of bell peppers, onions, and celery, you can sub in any of your favorite vegetables. This dairy free soup recipe is a great way to use up vegetables that have reached that "use it, or lose it" stage.
- Whole30 compliant andouille sausage brands - Niman Ranch, Framani, Teton Waters Ranch
Other keto and whole30 soup recipes you might enjoy
- Creamy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup with Bacon
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Keto Wontonless Soup
- Paleo Cabbage Roll Soup
- Slow Cooker Smoked Cheddar and Sausage Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, and Smoked Gouda Bisque
- Slow Cooker Lentil and Italian Sausage Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Bacon Chowder
Keto Cookbooks and Meal Plans
- Craveable Keto Cookbook
- Dairy Free Keto Cooking
- Keto Happy Hour
- 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking
- Primal Low Carb Kitchen
- Keto Desserts
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Soups and Stews
- Keto Condiments Dressings and Sauces
- 14 Weeks of Low Carb and Gluten Free Meal Plans
Creamy Cajun Sausage and Potato Soup - whole30, gluten free
Creamy Cajun Sausage and Potato Soup - A quick and easy Whole30 compliant stovetop soup recipe that is loaded with perfectly balanced cajun flavors.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use this brand) use code peaceloveandlowcarb for 15% off
- 12 ounces andouille sausage links, sliced into rounds
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (I use this brand) code peace for 15% off
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk (heavy cream if not Whole30/dairy free)
- sliced green onions, optional for garnish
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven, or stock pot. Once hot, add the andouille sausage and cook until browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- To the sausage drippings in the pan, add the onion, bell pepper, carrot, garlic, and all seasonings. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes to the pot, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the andouille back to the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Taste and add additional salt, if desired. Simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions.
net carbs per serving: 13.4g
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 323
- Fat: 25.6g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 11.3g
Keywords: whole30 soup recipes, cajun soup, cajun sausage and potato soup, whole30 potato soup recipe, comfort food