Many years ago I worked at an Italian restaurant that had lentil and Italian sausage soup on the menu. It was not something I would normally be drawn to on a menu and if it wasn’t for the fact that we had to sample the entire menu, I may have never tried it. One taste and I began my love affair with this amazingly comforting winter soup. I set out to recreate that very soup and the memories tied to it. I am proud to announce that it was a huge success. If you are skeptical, give it one taste and you will become a believer.
Every time I make this, the whole family fights over who gets the last bowl. It is our daughters favorite. She requests it often. For me, it is a toss up between this and my Chicken Bacon Chowder Recipe. If you are a big soup fan like me, check out my entire section of low carb, keto soups and stews. I even have an ebook make up entirely of SOUP!! Slow Cooker Soups and Stews – 30 Recipes to Keep you Warm During Winter!
- 1 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small leek, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat slow cooker on low setting.Thoroughly rinse lentils, and add to slow cooker with chicken stock.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage in olive oil and butter.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pan, reserving drippings. Add the cooked sausage to the slow cooker.
- Add spinach, carrots, onions, garlic, leek, celery and a little salt and black pepper to the pan. Sauté vegetables over medium heat until tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add sauteed vegetables to the slow cooker and mix in.
- Stir in heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, and red wine vinegar. Cover and allow to cook on low 6-8 hours.
Per Serving – Calories:195 | Fat: 14g | Protein: 11g | Net Carbs: 4.9g
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
What's Popular on the Blog This Week:
Low Carb Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls - Low Carb, Gluten Free
Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Keto Key Lime Pie Jars
Keto Chicken and Waffles
Chicken Sausage Sweet Potato Hash
Low Carb Keto Everything Bagels
Everything Bagel Seasoning
Week 4 of 52 – My 100 Pound Journey
Low Carb Reuben Chopped Salad with Russian Dressing
Eat This, Not That - Sugar Free Keto Maple Syrup Alternatives
Caramelized Onion Hummus - Low Carb, Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free