- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 12 ounces ham steak, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons sea salt (this is the only brand I use) code PEACE for 15% off
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups rough chopped broccoli florets
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the ham to the pot. Cook until the ham is browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fried ham from the pot, retaining the drippings.
- To the drippings, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté until the vegetables are tender and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add a little bit of the chicken stock to the pot to deglaze. Scrape up and mix in any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the remaining chicken stock to the pot, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the heavy cream and simmer for 10 additional minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar and parmesan cheeses and stir until melted. Let simmer for an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the ham to the pot, retaining some for garnish.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency. You can skip this step for a brothier soup, with larger chucks of vegetables.
- Garnish with cheddar and reserved ham before serving.
- If you are using unsalted butter, you will want to increase the amount of sea salt in this recipe.
- net carbs per serving: 3.5g
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: soups and stews
- Method: simmer
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 328
- Fat: 28.2g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 12.7g
Keywords: cheddar broccoli soup recipe, panera broccoli cheddar soup copycat, keto soup recipe, keto broccoli cheese soup, gluten free soup recipes