This keto Philly Cheesesteak Soup has all of the delicious flavors of a traditional philly cheesesteak sandwich, but in a warm and comforting soup variation.
This low carb and gluten free Philly Cheesesteak Soup recipe has all the delicious flavors of a classic cheesesteak sandwich, but in a hearty, comforting soup recipe. A traditional Philly cheesesteak sandwich has thinly sliced ribeye steak, grilled onions, and cheese sauce, served on a crusty roll. My mouth is watering just typing that. You will also commonly see American cheese, provolone cheese, or cheese whiz. There is a lot of debate about what makes up a true Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. I think the one thing we call all agree on is that it is delicious in all of it's different variations. Somewhere along the way, green peppers and mushrooms also became part of the mix. That is the version I am a big fan of.
For this Philly Cheesesteak soup recipe, I went super easy and used thinly sliced roast beef. GASP! I know! Cue the traditionalist heavy sighs and eye rolls... But that is the beauty of recipe creation, you can literally do anything you want.
- worcestershire sauce
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- sea salt
- black pepper
- beef stock
- roast beef
- provolone cheese
- heavy cream
Converting to slow cooker
Converting this Philly Cheesesteak Soup recipe to slow cooker couldn't be any easier -- simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. However, if you have time, I recommend sautéing the onions and garlic before hand as it adds an extra depth of flavor
Substitutions and Swaps
- Meat substitutions - Instead of thinly sliced roast beef, use ribeye, tenderloin, New York, or any cut of beef you prefer. This Philly Cheesesteak Soup recipe is also excellent with ground beef, ground turkey, or even with chicken. I get all of my grass-fed, grass finished beef, heritage pork, organic chicken and sustainable seafood here
- Bell peppers - Not a fan of green bell peppers? Mix and match any color of bell peppers you prefer. I love red and yellow bell peppers for their subtle sweetness. Not a fan of peppers at all? Simply omit them altogether, or substitute them with your favorite veggie
- Dairy free - Need to make this recipe dairy free? Simply swap out the heavy cream for 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk and omit the provolone cheese.
Other soup recipes you might enjoy:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Creamy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- Easy Peasy Keto Wonton-less Soup
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Paleo Cabbage Roll Soup
- Smoked Sausage and Cheddar Beer Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, and Smoked Gouda Bisque
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Chowder
Keto Cookbooks and Meal Plans
- Home for the Holidays - 25 Classic Holiday Recipes Made Low Carb
- Craveable Keto Cookbook
- Dairy Free Keto Cooking
- Keto Happy Hour
- 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking
- Primal Low Carb Kitchen
- Keto Desserts
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Soups and Stews
- Keto Savory Side Dishes
- Keto Condiments Dressings and Sauces
- 14 Weeks of Low Carb and Gluten Free Meal Plans
Want more low carb soup and stew recipes?
Is there anything more comforting on a cold day than a hot bowl of soup? In this ebook, there are 30 creative and delicious soup recipes. They utilize common every day ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store -no weird specialty ingredients here. So break out your Dutch oven, stock pot, and slow cooker, because it is soup season! These recipes are hearty enough to make a full meal, and perfect for meal prep. I like to make each one in a double batch and freeze half for later - cook once, eat twice. CHECK IT OUT HERE!