This Keto Everything Buns recipe from my book Dairy Free Keto Cooking is the absolute best keto bread recipe around. They are so versatile. You can use this dough recipe to make sandwich rounds, keto hamburger buns, dinner rolls, hot dog buns, sub rolls, and even croutons. Best of all, they are keto, gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and even Whole30 compliant.
This recipe is from my book Dairy Free Keto Cooking. It has over 170 dairy free keto recipes and over 100 pages of resources. It contains everything you need to find ease and success living a keto lifestyle.
Ingredients in the best keto bread recipes
Giving credit where credit is due - This keto bread recipe is my take on the famous Diet Doctor Rolls, which were actually an original recipe from Maria Emmerich. I made a few tweaks and changes to put my own delicious spin on things.
Step by Step Instructions
How to make the best keto bread recipe
STEP 1: Put an oven rack in the lower third position. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, baking powder, and salt until there are no visible clumps. (more keto bread recipes)
STEP 2: Add the egg whites and vinegar to the bowl.
STEP 3: Using a rubber spatula, mix while slowly pouring in the hot water. Continue to mix just until the ingredients are well combined; be careful not to overmix the dough.
STEP 4: Moisten your hands and divide the dough into 4 equal parts, then shape them into hamburger-sized buns. Put the buns on the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the bagel seasoning over the tops of the buns. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the buns have doubled in size, are crisp on top, and make a hollow sound when you thump them. Allow to cool before slicing.
Recipe Tips and Variations
What to make with these Keto Everything Buns
Make Keto Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches: or any kind of sandwich for that matter. These can even be shaped into sub rolls. Keto meatball sub, anyone? (check out my Keto Barbecue Dry Rub Ribs Recipe)
Make Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Salad Sandwiches: Are you noticing a trend here with the sandwiches? I am a big fan of keto sandwiches. It's a food I just never get tired of. Plus, they are perfect for meal prep or for packing for quick and easy weekday lunches. (Check out my Dill Chicken Salad Recipe)
Make these Garlic and Herb Keto Croutons: Missing that crunchy salad topper we all know and love? This keto sandwich bun recipe also makes for amazing keto croutons. This crouton recipe is an exclusive for my Patreon group. You can get it here.
Make an Epic Keto Breakfast Sandwich: Toast these buns and make keto avocado toast or a breakfast sandwich. I like to slather on some butter, grill the bun butter side down like you would a grilled cheese sandwich, and then top it with mashed avocado, sausage, goat cheese, a yolky egg with my Herby Everything Seasoning, pickled red onions, and microgreens. It is "chef's kiss" delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Blanched almond flour is made with almonds that have had the skins removed. As a result, it is lighter and fluffier and works better in baking.
The psyllium husk in this recipe is an essential ingredient and I do not recommend any substitutions.
While I recommend using fresh egg whites, carton egg whites will also work in a pinch.
Some brands of psyllium husk powder will result in purple rolls. To avoid this, I recommend using this brand.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Never miss a recipe! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released.
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.Print
The Best Keto Bread Recipe
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 buns 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This is the Keto Everything Bun recipe from my book Dairy Free Keto Cooking. We use this base keto bread recipe for everything - from keto hamburger buns, to sandwich and sub rolls, to low carb hot dog buns, avocado toast and even keto croutons. It is incredibly versatile and satisfies even the toughest of bread cravings.
- 1 ¼ cups blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons psyllium husk powder (I use this brand)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning (get the recipe here)
- Put an oven rack in the lower third position. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, baking powder, and salt until there are no visible clumps.
- Add the egg whites and vinegar to the bowl and, using a rubber spatula, mix while slowly pouring in the hot water. Continue to mix just until the ingredients are well combined; be careful not to overmix the dough.
- Moisten your hands and divide the dough into 4 equal parts, then shape them into hamburger-sized buns. Put the buns on the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the bagel seasoning over the tops of the buns.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the buns have doubled in size, are crisp on top, and make a hollow sound when you thump them. Allow to cool before slicing.
- net carbs per serving: 5.1g
- Storage: I recommend wrapping this keto bread recipe in paper towels and then in foil and storing them on the counter.
- Freezing: I like to make a double or triple batch and freeze them for later. When I am ready to use them, I set them out on the counter to thaw.
- Make ahead: To make this recipe even easier, I like to pre-mix several batches of the dry ingredients and store them in my pantry in air-tight containers.
- Seasonings: In place of the everything bagel seasoning, these are also delicious with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or even plain.
- Psyllium Husk Powder: Some brands of psyllium husks will turn these rolls purple. To avoid this, I recommend using the brand Now Foods.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Keto Bread Recipes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bun
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 17.7g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 13.8g
- Protein: 13.6g
Keywords: keto bread recipes, low carb bread, keto hamburger buns, low carb dinner rolls, keto sub rolls, keto croutons, keto avocado toast, gluten free bread recipes, low carb sandwich rounds, low carb breakfast sandwich
Helen R says
I didn't quite believe the hype from the comments, but as a longtime searcher of good keto bread, I think I've finally found the one!
Super easy to make following the recipe exactly; I did the garlic butter glaze at the end of baking, and it comes through deliciously. I will be sure to toast it going forward as I think that'll only help with texture, but I'm very happy to have found such a simple recipe that gives me the joy of eating bread again! Thanks so much 🙂
Holly B. says
This is so good! If you have the ingredients, it takes all of 12 minutes to make the dough. I'll add that I've tried a few modifications and nothing compares to the original. Just stick to the recipe! So good with butter or avocado and a great bun for any burger.
This is the best Keto bread recipe I’ve ever tried. A friend came over as the buns were coming out of the oven. I shared one and she could hardly believe how delicious it tasted. She insisted I pass along the recipe! So yummy and easy! I modify the toppings to match my meal and change the size depending on what I’m eating them with. Thank you for making my Keto lifestyle yummier!
I would like to use whole eggs. Has anyone tried that? Thanks,