Keto Fettuccine Alfredo with Pesto Chicken and Broccoli is comfort food at its finest. If you've been missing pasta on your low carb diet, look no further.
Gluten free and keto fettuccine alfredo! Could it really be?
YES! Your eyes are not deceiving you. You can in fact have low carb fettuccine alfredo and still keep it keto. But how? Well for starters this recipe calls for a scratch made low carb alfredo sauce recipe. When made more traditionally, alfredo sauce is already keto by nature as it is usually just butter, garlic, cream, parmesan, and pepper. Easy peasy. For this keto pasta recipe we are kicking things up a notch and adding in an extra punch of flavor in the form of pesto. I wasn't always a fan of pesto sauce. It always tasted too earthy to me. Well I have come around in a big way. Especially when we are talking about mixing it into a cream sauce. If pesto isn't your thing, you can always leave it out and this dish will still be amazing.
Now onto the keto pasta substitutions:
A good keto pasta recipe is something that has eluded us forever and is one of the things we all miss the most. Prior to living a ketogenic lifestyle, my food groups were bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, and fried foods. Those just happen to be all of the hardest things to recreate into low carb versions. Well, with a little creativity and realistic expectations, you can can still enjoy healthier versions of all your old favorite foods. Some of my favorite low carb pasta substitutions are shirataki noodles, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, butternut squash noodles, and Rainbow Vegetable Noodles. But the one I want to talk about today is shirataki noodles.
How to cook shirataki noodles for keto fettuccine alfredo:
Shirataki noodles, konjac noodles, miracle noodles, Japanese yam noodles – Whatever you wish to call them, there is one thing that usually rings true. They stink! They do. They really do. If you’ve ever opened up a bag of these low carb noodles, then you know the smell I am talking about. For many, it has been so off-putting that they opt to not even give them a try. But I am going to give you some tips and tricks that just might change all of that.
The type of shirataki noodle matters
Above all, a successful Keto Fettuccine Alfredo is largely dependent on the type of noodle you buy. I could never get used to the texture or taste of them until I found just the perfect brand. Now, it is the only brand I buy. It truly makes all of the difference in the world. I have been able to find them in nearly all of the grocery stores near me, but I usually buy them in a box of 10 from Amazon because it saves money. This is the brand of shiritaki noodles that I recommend. I have tried many other brands and have not been a fan.
Preparation shirataki noodles
If you try to take a bag of shirataki noodles and toss them directly in a pan, this is your first mistake. It is important to drain the liquid they are stored in and soak them in a bowl of fresh water. From there, drain them and give them another good rinse. If they still have an odor or feel a little slimy, I like to dry fry them in a pan for a few moments. Taking all of these steps will really help them absorb the flavors you are cooking them in and lose a lot of that rubbery texture. While this really helps, they are still not for everyone.
Incorporating shirataki noodles in other keto recipes
I have found that using them in Asian inspired cooking is usually the gateway into loving them. In my book Dairy Free Keto Cooking, I made a beef ramen that is so spot on taste and texture wise that I simply cannot get enough of it. They definitely resemble the texture of rice noodles more than they do a traditional flour pasta. However, through finding the perfect brand and taking the time to properly prepare them, I have become a big fan!
Fun ways to mix up this keto fettuccine alfredo recipe:
- add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms
- top it with some toasted pine nuts
- instead of pesto, add a little but of low carb marinara sauce to make a tomato cream sauce
- use zucchini noodles for low carb pasta in place of the shirataki noodles.
- substitute shrimp in place of the chicken
- make it vegetarian and instead of chicken, load it up with your favorite low carb vegetables
- melt some herbed goat cheese into the sauce
- make it extra cheesy and top it with some sharp cheddar cheese
In addition to this keto fettuccine alfredo, check out some of my other favorite keto pasta, potato, and rice substitutions:
- Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Cabbage Noodle Tuna Casserole
- Low Carb Mushroom Risotto
- Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Pasta
- Buttery Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
- Cranberry Pecan Cauliflower Rice Stuffing
- Keto Herbed Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash
30 MINUTE KETOGENIC COOKING 50+ Mouthwatering Low-Carb Recipes to Save You Time and Money
Check out my other books - HERE
I am so excited to help with a problem that so many people struggle with – Not having enough time! I can’t even count how many times I have heard people say that they just don’t have enough time to prepare healthy meals. Well, what if I told you that I wrote an entire book of recipes that only require 30 minutes of hands-on time or less?
That’s right, every recipe inside can be completed in 30 minutes or less and only contains ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. No funny specialty ingredients here! Only real, whole foods!
50+ Mouthwatering recipes, ready in 30 minutes or less
STARTERS AND SNACKS
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Mediterranean Flat Bread
- Dill Pickle Deviled Eggs
- Buttery Garlic Crescent Rolls
- Tahini Ranch Dip
- Pico De Gallo
- Cheddar Jalapeno Bacon Biscuits
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Greek Salad
- Taco Wedge Salad
- Cucumber Dill Tuna Salad
- Barbecue Chicken Mockaroni Salad
- Fortune Cookie Waffles
- Ham and Spinach Eggs Benedict
- Cheesy Pico Eggs
- Sausage Balls
- Sour Cream and Chive Egg Clouds
- Ham and Cheese Waffles
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Frittata
LUNCH AND DINNER
- Pork Chops with Herbed Goat Cheese Butter
- Spicy Sausage and Cabbage Stir-Fry
- Zucchini Noodles with Hamburger Gravy
- Chicken Sausage and Vegetable Skillet
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers
- Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
- Greek Meatballs
- Grilled New York Steak with Blue Cheese Dijon Cream Sauce
- Fish Taco Bowls
- Herbed Chicken and Mushrooms
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Shrimp Piccata
- Salisbury Steak
- Buffalo Chicken Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Cream Sauce
- Pan-Fried Brussels Sprouts with Creamy Dijon Cider Dressing
- Green Onion and Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Cheesy Zucchini Gratin
- Sauteed Asparagus with Mushrooms and Bacon
- Cauliflower Steaks with Cheesy Bacon Sauce
- Sauteed Green Beans with Ham
- Herbed Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash
- Chocolate Chip Cookies for Two
- Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes
- Double Chocolate Flourless Brownies
- Lemon Mousse
- Sesame Shortbread Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Mousse
- Avocado Chocolate Pudding