Low Carb Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Mac and Cheese- Keto, Gluten Free
I have never met a mac and cheese that I didn’t like. I simply love it! Naturally, that very same love made it one of the hardest things to give up when I decided to switch to a low carb and gluten free way of eating. I set out on a mission to recreate my favorite comfort food into a gourmet, low carb version. The end result was something that even the non-low carbers in your life will be asking you to make time and time again. Even when I make a double batch, there still isn’t any left over. This low carb caramelized onion and prosciutto mac and cheese will become an instant classic in your home. It comes kid and husband approved.
Cauliflower has an amazing way of substituting it’s carb laden counterparts – like rice, potatoes, pasta etc. Don’t believe me? I bet I can convince even the biggest cauliflower despising skeptics. Why do I think this? Because I used to be one. Check out my Buttery Cauliflower Rice recipe. Or how about this Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto recipe? Still not convinced? Maybe these Fried Radish and Cauliflower Hash Browns will convince you.
Sign up for updates to receive my FREE low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Mac and Cheese
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- 1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed (but left whole)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces prosciutto, diced and cooked crisp
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large covered pot with 1 inch of water, steam the cauliflower on high heat until fork tender. About 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain water and allow cauliflower to remain in the hot pot to draw out excess moisture. (This is important… Otherwise you might end up with mac and cheese soup)
- Place head of cauliflower in an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Using a fork, slightly mash the cauliflower to break it all apart.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the onions to the pan and sauté until they have a nice caramel color. Remove the onions from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan add remaining butter and garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant. Add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir continuously until the Parmesan is melted and the sauce begins to come to a boil. Mix in cheddar cheese, goat cheese and black pepper. Stir until cheeses are melted and well incorporated into the sauce. Reduce heat to low and allow the sauce to thicken as it simmers, about 5 minutes.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over top of the cauliflower. Layer caramelized onions on top of sauce. Lastly, layer crispy prosciutto on top of the caramelized onions. Sprinkle with any leftover cheese you may have. Bake for 15 minutes.
Per Serving – Calories: 433 | Fat: 32g | Protein: 10g | Net Carbs: 7g