This Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Keto Mac and Cheese is the ultimate in low carb comfort food. The steamed cauliflower, scratch made cheese sauce, rich caramelized onions, and crispy prosciutto cheese are a match made in heaven.
- Cauliflower: For this keto Mac and cheese recipe, we are replacing the noodles with cauliflower in order to keep it low carb and gluten free. (Try these Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Cheese Sauce)
- Onion: You can use sweet onion or plain white onion. The caramelized onions ia richness to this dish with their subtle sweetness.
- Prosciutto: The crispy prosciutto adds a nice salty element. If you cannot find prosciutto, you can also use bacon, pancetta, ham, or even salami. (Try this Prosciutto Chicken and Broccoli Sheet Pan Meal)
- Cheese: For the rich, creamy cheese sauce on this ket Mac and cheese, I used sharp cheddar, goat cheese and parmesan. Some other good choices are cream cheese, American, smoked mozzarella, gruyere, fontina, and havarti. (Try this Keto Cheese Sauce)
Other recipes you might enjoy
Sign up for our newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter
Never miss a recipe! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released.
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.Print
Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Mac and Cheese
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Keto Mac and Cheese is the ultimate in low carb comfort food. The steamed cauliflower, scratch made cheese sauce, rich caramelized onions, crispy prosciutto cheese are a match made in heaven.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed (but left whole)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, extra for garnish
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, extra for garnish
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces prosciutto, diced and cooked crisp
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large covered pot with 1 inch of water, steam the cauliflower on high heat until fork tender. About 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain water and allow cauliflower to remain in the hot pot to draw out excess moisture. (This is important… Otherwise you might end up with mac and cheese soup)
- Place head of cauliflower in an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Using a fork, slightly mash the cauliflower to break it all apart.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the onions to the pan and sauté until they have a nice caramel color. Remove the onions from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan add remaining butter and garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant. Add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir continuously until the Parmesan is melted and the sauce begins to come to a boil. Mix in cheddar cheese, goat cheese and black pepper. Stir until cheeses are melted and well incorporated into the sauce. Reduce heat to low and allow the sauce to thicken as it simmers, about 5 minutes.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over top of the cauliflower. Layer caramelized onions on top of sauce. Lastly, layer crispy prosciutto on top of the caramelized onions. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
- net carbs per serving: 7g
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this in a pan on the stove top or in the oven. You may need to mix in a little extra cream to help bring it back to life
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 456
- Fat: 38.1g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 19.2g
Keywords: keto Mac and cheese, low carb Mac and cheese, cauliflower Mac and cheese, gluten free pasta recipes, cauliflower pasta
I made this recipe a few years ago as my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner. It has been specifically requested every year since! I love it and so does everyone else. Thanks!
Excellent recipe! The flavors were fantastic, and I found I really enjoyed the complexity of the prosciutto over bacon. Next time, I may double or triple the amount of cheddar cheese in the sauce. I suspect it would make it thicker and cheesier. One can never have too much cheese! Might also be really good with some chunks of kielbasa instead of prosciutto.
Lisa M. Schulz says
What is the serving size? It's not in the notes. Thank you!
Edie Purser says
This recipe is AMAZING! it is truly decadent. We will be enjoying this dish again and again.
BY FAR this is our favorite recipe on this site. This dish has amazing flavors. I would make absolutely no changes. Note that I do think you could swap bacon for the prosciutto for convenience or to save $$$.