This Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Keto Mac and Cheese is the ultimate in low carb comfort food. The steamed cauliflower, scratch made cheese sauce, rich caramelized onions, crispy prosciutto cheese are a match made in heaven.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed (but left whole)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, extra for garnish
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces prosciutto, diced and cooked crisp
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large covered pot with 1 inch of water, steam the cauliflower on high heat until fork tender. About 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain water and allow cauliflower to remain in the hot pot to draw out excess moisture. (This is important… Otherwise you might end up with mac and cheese soup)
- Place head of cauliflower in an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Using a fork, slightly mash the cauliflower to break it all apart.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the onions to the pan and sauté until they have a nice caramel color. Remove the onions from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan add remaining butter and garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant. Add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir continuously until the Parmesan is melted and the sauce begins to come to a boil. Mix in cheddar cheese, goat cheese and black pepper. Stir until cheeses are melted and well incorporated into the sauce. Reduce heat to low and allow the sauce to thicken as it simmers, about 5 minutes.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over top of the cauliflower. Layer caramelized onions on top of sauce. Lastly, layer crispy prosciutto on top of the caramelized onions. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
- net carbs per serving: 7g
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 456
- Fat: 38.1g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 19.2g
Keywords: keto Mac and cheese, low carb Mac and cheese, cauliflower Mac and cheese, gluten free pasta recipes, cauliflower pasta