This flavor combination really packs a punch. The spiciness of the mustard and the acidity of the balsamic come together nicely and make the perfect pan sauce. Making the perfect pan sauce is as simple as 4 steps:
- Sear the meat in a neutral fat
- Add aromatics (think garlic, shallots, onions, herbs etc.)
- Deglaze the pan (wine or broth)
- Add more fat (think butter, butter, butter)
There is a little more to each step, but that is the gist of it. Once you start making pan sauce to go with your meats, you will never want to stop. The possibilities are endless.
The pan sauce in this recipe is also amazing over top of my Caramelized Onion Cauliflower Mash recipe. I love to serve these steaks with a side of my Butter Roasted Radishes and Buttery Cauliflower Rice Pilaf.
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Balsamic Mustard Steaks
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (8-ounce) steaks (the cut of your choice)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup spicy brown mustard
- In a large skillet or grill pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the steaks on both sides with a little sea salt and black pepper. Sear the steaks for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they have reached desired doneness. Remove the steaks from the pan, and place on a plate covered with foil while you make the sauce. Alternately you can hold the steaks in the oven on low.
- To the skillet, add shallots and butter and sauté until soft and translucent. Add balsamic vinegar, beef broth, and mustard to pan. Use a rubber spatula to scrape any bits of steak from the bottom of the pan and mix into sauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over top of the steaks.
Per Serving – Calories: 490 | Fat: 35g | Protein: 33g | Net Carbs: 4g
***Please note that nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels***