Fresh and light. The perfect low carb summer snack or appetizer – Oven Roasted Basil Parmesan Tomatoes
Tomato season is upon us. I had some beautifully ripe tomatoes on my kitchen counter, just begging to be used. I figured I would let them be the star of the show with their beautiful deep red color. That and I’ll eat just about anything if you put cheese on it. Are you with me? For this low carb Oven Roasted Basil Parmesan Tomatoes recipe I used Roma tomatoes, but you can use any variety of tomatoes you have on hand. Tomatoes aren’t the lowest carb fruit or vegetable in the world, but in my book, the health benefits of tomatoes far outweigh the higher carb count. Besides, I didn’t get overweight in the first place from eating too many tomatoes.
Here are some of the amazing health benefits of tomato:
- They help to reduce cholesterol and promote heart health
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- High in antioxidants
- Rich in beta-carotene and lycopene, which both help promote healthy skin
- Help build strong bones
- Help to naturally balance blood sugars
- Promotes a healthy immune system
- Help to prevent kidney and gallbladder stones
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Check out some of my other favorite low carb recipes with fresh tomatoes:
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I use these spices)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 small fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the ends off the tomatoes and then slice them into thirds. If you are using a larger tomato that a Roma, you will likely get double the amount of slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and pepper.
- Line the tomato slices in a single layer across the parchment paper. Sprinkle both sides of each slice with the seasoning blend.
- Top each tomato slice with a fresh basil leaf and then top each slice generously with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown
Per Serving (2 tomato slices) – Calories: 60 | Fat: 2.67g | Protein: 3.67g | Total Carbs: 5g | Fiber: .70g | Net Carbs: 4.3g
- Serving Size: 2 Roasted Tomato Slices