This Whole30 Herbed Chicken and Mushrooms is loaded with flavor. Juicy chicken thighs with crispy skin, tender mushrooms, garlic, herbs and spices, with a dijon pan sauce. Best of all, it only dirties one pan and can be ready in 30 minutes.
Whole30 Herbed Chicken and Mushrooms
This herbed Whole30 chicken and mushrooms is so tender and juicy. It packs so much flavor that it is hard to believe that it is dairy free and Whole30 compliant. Best of all, it is ready and on the table in just over 30 minutes from start to finish. You’ve got to love any recipe that is inexpensive to prepare and only dirties one pot.
The best whole30 chicken recipe
For this Whole30 chicken recipe, I decided to go with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. I chose chicken thighs over chicken breasts for a few different reasons. Chicken thighs are higher in fat than breasts, making them even more keto friendly. They are less expensive and they cook very quickly. Perhaps my favorite reason is because you just can’t beat that super crispy, perfectly seasoned chicken skin. Mmmmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Another reason that I love chicken thighs is that they are great for quick and easy meal prep recipes. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, meal prep and meal planning has been a huge part of my success with a low carb lifestyle. Having something healthy to grab at a moments notice keeps me from reaching for the wrong types of foods.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days:
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this in a skillet or in an air-fryer in order to get the skin nice and crispy again when you reheat. (This is the air fryer that I use and love)
- Chicken: While I used chicken thighs for this Whole30 Herbed Chicken and Mushroom meal, you can also use chicken breasts. (More Keto Chicken Recipes)
- Pork: This recipe is also delicious made with pork chops. (More Keto Pork Recipes)
- Add Onions: What goes better with mushrooms, herbs and garlic than some caramelized onions? (Try my Onion Bacon Jam Recipe)
- Add a splash of vinegar: Deepen the flavor of this dish by adding a splash of balsamic vinegar when you add the chicken stock.
- Add citrus: Add a burst of freshness to this dish by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
- Use fresh herbs: You can substitute fresh herbs by using 3 times the amount. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of dried parsley, you would use 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley.
- Add some cream: If you are not concerned with keeping this dish dairy free, paleo, or whole30 compliant, add ¼ cup of heavy cream during the last 5 minutes of cooking for a nice creamy sauce. You can also use full fat coconut milk for a dairy free option.
- Add more veggies: This is delicious with some spinach and bell peppers added. I also like to serve it over top of this Cauliflower Rice Pilaf.