These Keto Cinnamon Rolls or Keto Sticky Buns as some of you might call them, are sweet, gooey, and delicious. Best of all, these low carb cinnamon rolls are completely gluten free.
Fathead cinnamon rolls: the best gluten free cinnamon rolls ever
While there are many gluten free cinnamon roll recipes on the internet, these keto cinnamon rolls are the best. Because they're made with fathead dough, they're a great gluten free option as well as a keto staple. Generally, fathead dough is made with cheese, egg, almond flour, baking powder, and cream cheese. In this case, specifically for this recipe, I also added a bit of low carb sweetener and vanilla.
Another reason I love fathead dough is because it's made with ingredients that have a much higher fat content. Unlike traditional carb filled cinnamon buns, these keto cinnamon buns are actually satiating.
The secret to this recipe is the maple butter and the vanilla maple glaze -- they really pack flavor into the dough and the finished keto cinnamon buns, so every bite is saturated with buttery maple vanilla goodness, plus a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a good crunch from the chopped pecans.
How to make keto cinnamon rolls
After you get the fathead dough together, make the maple butter. Then, spread the maple butter over the fathead dough, add keto friendly brown sugar, chopped pecans, and cinnamon. Lastly, roll it all up, and then slice into buns.
After moving the sliced buns to the baking pan, I brush them with the remaining maple butter. While the keto cinnamon rolls bake, you can whip up the glaze. Once the buns are cooled, you can drizzle them with the glaze. Finally, you can plate the low carb cinnamon buns and sprinkle a bit of powdered erythritol overtop if you like.
When to enjoy these Keto Cinnamon Rolls
Of course, these keto cinnamon rolls are going to be great any time of day. Especially if you serve them with a cup of coffee for the perfect sweet keto breakfast. However, you can also serve these gluten free cinnamon rolls as a delicious low carb dessert. Once you get the hang of making fathead dough, this will be one of those easy dessert recipes that you come back to time and time again.
Alternatively, if you're craving a more decadent keto dessert, you can add stevia sweetened chocolate chips in with the chopped pecans so that the chocolate chips get all melty and delicious. The result is like a cross between a keto chocolate chip cookie and a low carb cinnamon bun.
In addition to these keto cinnamon rolls, check out some of my other favorite low carb desserts:
- Keto Chocolate Muffins
- Mini Keto Blueberry Cheesecakes
- Fudgy Double Chocolate Keto Brownies
- Low Carb Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream
- Keto Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Low Carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Keto Brownie Ice Cream
Keto Cinnamon Rolls
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
NOTE: What is shown in the photos is a double batch.
for the dough:
- 1 ½ cups low moisture, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon powdered erythritol
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
for the filling:
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon maple extract (get it here)
- ¼ cup brown sugar erythritol (I use this brand)
- 1 ½ tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
for the glaze:
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered erythritol
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon maple extract
- pinch of sea salt
making the dough:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Combine the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the cheese is melted enough to mix together.
- Once the cheeses are melted and combined, mix in the almond flour, egg, erythritol, baking powder and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated and have formed a dough.
- Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper and then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
making the filling:
- While the dough is chilling, combine the melted butter and the extracts together in a small bowl.
- Brush the butter mixture over the dough, leaving about a 1 inch gap around the edges of the dough.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar erythritol, cinnamon and pecans over top.
- Using the parchment paper to help roll the dough, carefully roll it tight and cut off and discard the uneven edges.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the dough into 8 even rolls. (It may help to wet the knife to keep the dough from sticking to it as you slice the rolls.)
- Place the rolls snuggly into the baking pan, but not too tight as they need room to expand while cooking.
- Brush with any remaining maple butter and loosely cover the pan with parchment paper. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until you can stick a toothpick in the center and have it come out clean.
making the glaze:
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. Add the heavy cream, erythritol, vanilla extract, maple extract and salt to a small bowl and whisk to combine. You can also whip this with an electric mixer to make it a thicker glaze that you can pipe over top of the cinnamon rolls.
- Once the cinnamon rolls have finished baking, allow them to cool for 5 minutes and then drizzle the glaze over top.
net carbs per serving (1 cinnamon roll): 3.2g
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 cinnamon roll
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 28.2g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 8.7g
Keywords: low carb baking, keto cinnamon rolls, low carb cinnamon rolls, keto fathead recipes, fathead dough, mozzarella dough
Click HERE to PIN
Craveable Keto: Your Low-Carb, High-Fat Roadmap to Weight Loss and Wellness
Check out my other books - HERE
This book has more than 145 recipes, each with a full color photo and nutritional analysis. It is packed with over 100 pages of resources to help make your low carb, keto lifestyle easier. Let’s look at some of the recipes shall we?
- Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Pinwheels
- Cheesy Chorizo Breakfast Biscuits
- Breakfast Pizza
- Baked Eggs with Chorizo and Ricotta
- 13 Jon's Special
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- Baked Egg Jars
- Reuben Frittata
- Radishes O/Brien
- Pastrami Breakfast Hash
- Pizza Eggs
- Pancetta, White Cheddar and Spinach Frittata
- Oven-Roasted Garlic and Herb Home Fries
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Kyndra's Favorite Buttery Herbed Eggs
- French Toast Egg Puffs
- Keto Everything Bagels
- Creamy Herbed Bacon and Egg Skillet
- Easy Peasy Maple Blender Pancakes
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Waffles
- Boosted Coffee
- Vanilla Coffee Creamer
SNACKS AND STARTERS
- Parmesan Italian Breadsticks
- Warm Mediterranean Goat Cheese Dip
- Tuna Salad Pickle Boats
- Avocado Feta Salsa
- Marinated Mozzarella Balls
- Sour Lemon Gummy Snacks
- Green Goddess Chicken Dip
- Garlic Dill Baked Cucumber Chips
- Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- Creamy Avocado Pesto Deviled Eggs
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- Bloody Mary Deviled Eggs
- Bacon Chicken Ranch Deviled Eggs
- Baked Avocado Fries
- Asiago Rosemary Bacon Biscuits
SOUPS AND SALADS
- Zuppa Toscana
- Smoked Sausage and Kale Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Egg Drop Soup
- Cheesy Ham and Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Lasagna Soup
- Mac Daddy Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Mock Potato Salad
- Dill Chicken Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Asian Chicken Salad
- Creamy Caesar Salad with Garlic Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Cobb Salad
- Chef Salad Skewers
- Deviled Ham and Egg Salad Wraps
- Warm Taco Slaw
- Steak Fajita Bowls
- Everything Bagel Dogs
- Slow Cooker Spiced Pork Tenderloin
- Spaghetti Squash Pork Lo Mein
- Slow Cooker Chinese 5 Spice Beef
- Shrimp and Cheese Cauliflower Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Seared Scallops with Sherry Beurre Blanc
- Sausage, Shrimp, and Chicken Jambalaya
- Reuben Biscuit Sandwiches
- Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Peanut Chicken Skillet
- Pan-Seared Chicken With Balsamic Cream Sauce, Mushrooms and Onions
- Lemon Sherry Chicken
- Lasagna Zucchini Roll-Ups
- "Just like the real thing" Lasagna
- Fried Cabbage with Kielbasa
- Barbecue Dry Rub Ribs
- Dill Pickle Juice Brined Fish and Chips
- Crispy Chicken Thigh and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Zucchini Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pizza
- Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Cabbage Casserole
- Best Ever Fork and Knife Pub Burger
- Beef Stuffed Poblanos with Lime Crema
- Asian Beef Skewers
- Oven Roasted Cabbage Wedges with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Mascarpone Creamed Greens
- Green Beans with Shallots and Pancetta
- Ginger Lime Slaw
- Dill Pickle Coleslaw
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Fiesta Cauliflower Rice
- Creamy Herbed Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mash
- Cranberry Pecan Cauliflower Rice Stuffing
- Chorizo and Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Charred Asian Asparagus and Peppers
- Butter Roasted Radishes
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin with Ham
- Lemon Caper Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Sautéed Mushrooms with Garlic Mascarpone Cream Sauce
- Salted Caramel Nut Brittle
- Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Maple Butter Pecan Truffles
- Mason Jar Chocolate Ice Cream
- Lemon Coconut Cheesecake Bites
- Flourless Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Cheesecake Balls
- Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Blueberry Mojito Ice Pops
- Almond Joy Chia Seed Pudding
- Fresh Whipped Cream
DRESSINGS, SAUCES, SEASONINGS, AND MORE
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Garlic Parmesan Caesar Dressing
- Ranch Dressing
- Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
- Asian Vinaigrette
- Dill Pickle Vinaigrette
- 2-Minute Mayo
- Cajun Mayo
- Walnut Avocado Pesto
- Bacon Jam
- Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Pizza Sauce
- Enchilada Sauce
- Not-So-Secret Burger Sauce
- Cranberry Ginger Quick Jam
- Seasoning Salt
- Mexican Seasoning Blend
- Cajun Seasoning
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Barbecue Dry Rub
- Savory Breading Mix
- Nut-Free Keto Breading Mix
- Pizza Crust
- Nut-Free Pizza Crust
Got a craving? YOU CAN GRAB A COPY - HERE
This recipe is so amazing. Thank you.
I have made these cinnamon rolls several times and they are so delicious. I’ve been keto 4 years now and it’s nice to have a good treat every once in a while.
Sandra Wylie says
Do you have any idea how I might adjust this recipe for high altitude? These turn out delicious but they flatten. I have tried the recipe twice and the same thing happened both times.
Have you tried cutting the baking powder in half or omitting it altogether? I usually omit the powder when I’m baking on the mountain.
Mine certainly did not come out looking as pretty as the picture. But they were delicious.
So I tried to make this dairy free using kite hill cream cheese and mozzarella. The flavor is great but they didn't hold up much structurally--sort of like cinnamon roll goo with semi solid bits. Any ideas to get the dough to hold up better?
Lisa Buchanan says
Can you refrigerate the dough overnight?