These gluten free Ham and Cheese Keto Hot Pockets are way better than the frozen ones! Golden brown seasoned fathead dough stuffed with ham and cheese goodness.
Your Childhood Favorite Just Got a Major Upgrade: Ham and Cheese Keto Hot Pockets
Melty gouda and cheddar cheese layered with slices of ham, freshly chopped chives, all wrapped up in a beautifully golden brown, gluten free hot pocket -- no, this isn’t an adult flashback to your childhood. One bite and you’ll know for sure: these low carb Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets are the real deal, only WAY better!
How to make gluten free hot pockets
If you’re low carb, you’ve probably heard of fathead dough: a base for keto pizza recipes, gluten free baked goods, and more. Fathead dough is made with almond flour, shredded cheese, cream cheese, eggs, and seasoning. While it adds a nice cheesy element to a dish, its main purpose is a low carb dough replacement. For this Ham and Cheese Hot Pocket recipe, fathead dough is the the actual pocket.
Putting together these cheesy, savory, low carb pastries
The key to this keto hot pocket recipe is to have all of your filling ingredients ready to go, that way you can make the fathead dough and assemble your hot pocket quickly, while the dough is still malleable.
This recipe would be a great option for leftover Christmas ham -- just make the seasoned fathead dough, add a slice of gouda, sprinkle with chives, add a few slices of ham, and top with a slice of cheddar cheese. Brush the fathead dough with an egg wash, then wrap up your low carb hot pocket and press to seal.
There are tons of flavor variations for these keto hot pockets!
Try these other flavor combinations any time you get a craving for a gluten free hot pocket:
- Sliced turkey with a smear of sugar free cranberry sauce, mayo, and a slice of brie
- Roast beef slices with provolone cheese and chopped green peppers and onions
- Pepperoni Pizza Pockets (yeah, I had to give that one its own recipe)
- Make a bunch of mini low carb Chicken Parmesan Meatballs, then stuff your hot pocket with a bit of marinara and mozzarella (don’t forget the oregano and basil)
In addition to these keto hot pockets, check out some of my other favorite keto comfort food recipes:
- Keto Pepperoni Pizza Pockets
- Low Carb Ham and Cheese Roll-Ups with Dijon Butter Glaze
- Keto Chicken and Waffles
- Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Fathead Pepperoni Waffle Pizza Dippers
- Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Keto Chili Dog Pot Pie Casserole
- Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Cabbage Casserole
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Keto Meatloaf
- Keto Wonton-less Soup
- Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
Ham and Cheese Keto Hot Pockets
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 hot pockets 1x
For the dough:
- 3 cups of shredded low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese
- 5 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the filling:
- 8 slices gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 8 ounces sliced ham
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, whisked
For the garnish:
- sesame seeds, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Return to microwave for 1 additional minute.
- To the mixing bowl, add the eggs, almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls. Roll each ball between two sheets of parchment paper until ¼ inch thin.
- Place one slice of gouda in the center of each round, leaving space around the edges. Sprinkle each pocket with chives.
- Add 1 ounce of ham to each pocket and top with a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash before folding over and pressing to seal. Repeat this process with all 8 ham and cheese pockets.
- Place the ham and cheese pockets on the prepared baking sheet and brush egg wash over top of each one. Sprinkle sesame seeds on each hot pocket, if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and the dough is cooked through.
net carbs per serving: 8g
- Serving Size: 1 hot pocket
- Calories: 581
- Fat: 45.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 36.2g
Keywords: keto hot pocket, low carb hot pockets, gluten free pizza pockets, keto recipes, low carb recipes, ham and cheese