This Keto Blackened Steak Salad is the full meal deal. No wimpy side salads here. Loaded up with healthy fats and lots of veggies, it is the kind of salad that will stick to your ribs.
My husband Jon would tell you that this Blackened Steak Salad is about as manly as a salad can get. I would tell that you that even though it is delicious, I am instantly attracted to all the bright colors. I am a firm believer that we eat with our eyes first. This Blacked Steak Salad is fresh, crisp, and loaded with deliciously tender and juicy steak. My favorite thing about it is the wonderfully contrasting textures as you work your way through it. I love to serve this with Keto Avocado Ranch Dressing, or Creamy Chive Blue Cheese Dressing. But it is also amazing with Balsamic Shallot Vinaigrette. The acidity of the vinaigrette pairs nicely with the spice of the blackened seasoning. I also love to thrown in some Pickled Red Onions, but then again, I will use any excuse to put something pickled on just about everything.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb salad recipes:
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Reuben Chopped Salad
- Pork Belly Wedge Salad
- Dill Chicken Salad
- Low Carb Big Mac Salad
My husband says that this is about as manly as a salad can get. It is fresh, crisp, colorful and loaded with meat. My favorite thing about this salad is the wonderfully contrasting textures as you work your way through it.
- 1 1/2 pounds flat iron steak, sliced into 1/2 -inch thick strips (I get my grass-fed meat here)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 4 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 16 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the steak strips in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. In a small mixing bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cayenne pepper, basil, cumin, celery salt and oregano. Sprinkle the seasoning over the top of the steak and toss in the bowl until all the meat is evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil and the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Sauté until the onion is a nice caramel color, about 20 minutes. Add the mushrooms an and sauté until they are soft and have released their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- While the onion is caramelizing, divide the romaine and spinach among 4 plates. Top each plate of lettuce with one quarter of the blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes, orange and yellow bell pepper and avocado. Line each topping in its own individual row.
- Heat the oven on broil. Line the steak strips in a single layer on a broiling pan. Broil on high for 5 minutes, or until the meat has reached the desired level of doneness.
- Divide the cooked steak strips evenly among all 4 plates. Top with the caramelized onion and mushrooms.
- Calories: 765
- Fat: 56g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 47g