My husband says that this is about as manly as a salad can get. It is fresh, crisp, colorful and loaded with meat. My favorite thing about this salad is the wonderfully contrasting textures as you work your way through it.
- 1 1/2 pounds flat iron steak, sliced into 1/2 -inch thick strips (I get my grass-fed meat here)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 4 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 16 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the steak strips in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. In a small mixing bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cayenne pepper, basil, cumin, celery salt and oregano. Sprinkle the seasoning over the top of the steak and toss in the bowl until all the meat is evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil and the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Sauté until the onion is a nice caramel color, about 20 minutes. Add the mushrooms an and sauté until they are soft and have released their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- While the onion is caramelizing, divide the romaine and spinach among 4 plates. Top each plate of lettuce with one quarter of the blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes, orange and yellow bell pepper and avocado. Line each topping in its own individual row.
- Heat the oven on broil. Line the steak strips in a single layer on a broiling pan. Broil on high for 5 minutes, or until the meat has reached the desired level of doneness.
- Divide the cooked steak strips evenly among all 4 plates. Top with the caramelized onion and mushrooms.
- Calories: 765
- Fat: 56g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 47g