“Just like the Real Thing” Low Carb Lasagna
This keto lasagna recipe is easy to make and tastes just like the real thing. In fact, over the years, I have been told many times that it should be called “Better Than the Real Thing” lasagna. When I was first starting a low carb, ketogenic lifestyle, I really wanted a low carb and gluten free pasta substitution. But at the time, they were really hard to find, and the keto pasta recipes that I could find, we just plain no good! I was tired of wasting food trying low carb recipes that fell flat. Sound familiar? I knew I had to set out to make my own low carb, real food versions. There were two recipes that I immediately knew I wanted to make – a low carb mac and cheese and a low carb lasagna. So, I did exactly that. They were two of the very first recipes I ever wrote for this site and 6 years later, they are still among the most popular.
The first time I made this low carb keto lasagna, I served it to Jon without telling him that it was an impasta (get it? impasta?) and he had no idea. Once I told him, he was even more impressed. It is low carb comfort food at it’s finest. Although it does take a little meal prep work, it is definitely worth it to have a healthier version that you can eat whenever you want.
Can you make the noodles for the this keto lasagna in advance?
You can even make the low carb noodles in advance and freeze them. Having the noodles done ahead of time makes for a quick and easy low carb meal. Perfect for those busy weeknights. If you want to go a step further, you can even swap out the low carb marinara sauce and ground beef in this recipe for my Low Carb Hearty Tomato Meat Sauce Recipe. I like to make a double batch of that sauce and portion it out into individual freezer meals so that I always have it on hand. If you have a stash of the noodles and the sauce in the freezer at all times, this meal comes together so quickly. This is a great example of why I talk about the importance of food prep in my low carb and gluten free meal plans. Spend one day a week batch cooking and prepping and then it is smooth sailing for the rest of the week!
I’ll even let you in on a little secret. about the “noodles” portion of this low carb keto lasagna recipe… They also make for an amazing nut free pizza crust. Don’t believe me? Check it out for yourself. Low Carb Nut Free Pizza Crust
In addition to this low carb keto lasagna recipe, check out some of my other favorite low carb pasta substitutions:
- 27 Low Carb Keto Pasta Substitution Recipes
- Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- Low Carb Cabbage Noodle Tuna Casserole
- Keto Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Pasta
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- Low Carb and Gluten Free Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
“Just Like The Real Thing” LASAGNA!!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
For the “Noodles”:
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
For the Filling:
For the “Noodles”:
- This part will take the longest, so feel free to make the “noodles” the night before and just leave them in the fridge until you are ready for them.
- Preheat oven to 375° Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together cream cheese and eggs.
- Next, add Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in mozzarella cheese and mix until well incorporated.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish, forming a nice even layer.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes.
- When the “noodles” are done baking, cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes and then cut into thirds. This makes three perfectly sized “noodle” layers for an 8.5 X 4.5 X 2.5 loaf pan.
For the Filling:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine ground beef, minced onion, oregano, garlic powder, dried basil and a pinch of salt. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Drain excess fat from pan and add ¾ cup marinara sauce to meat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Putting it all together:
- Pour ¼ cup marinara sauce into bottom of loaf pan. Top with the first “noodle” layer
- Layer a third of the ground beef mixture. Top with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and 3 tbsp ricotta cheese, and cover with another “noodle” layer. Repeat these steps.
- Cover the top “noodle” layer with remaining ground beef, and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over top. Bake for 20 minutes.
Per Serving – Calories: 486 | Fat: 34g | Protein: 57g | Net Carbs: 9.5g
This recipe is from my book – Craveable Keto. Grab a copy here
RECIPES, RECIPES, RECIPES…
Craveable Keto Cookbook has more than 145 recipes, each with a full color photo and nutritional analysis. It is packed with awesome resources to help make your low carb, keto lifestyle easier. Let’s look at some of the recipes shall we?
- Dill Pickle Brined Fish and Chips
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Reuben Biscuits Sandwiches
- Steak Fajita Bowls
- Chicken Cordon Blue Pizza
- Blueberry Mojito Popsicles
- Italian Parmesan Breadsticks
- Crispy Chicken Thigh and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner
- Slow Cooker 5 Spiced Beef
- Asian Chicken Salad
- Bloody Mary Deviled Eggs.
- and so much more… Check out the full recipe list HERE