Substitutions and Swaps
- Add some heavy creamy to make this a creamy bolognese sauce
- Amp up the nutrient density and add some sautéed vegetables - carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms etc.
- Sub 2 tablespoons dried minced onion if you don't have any fresh onions
- Use fresh herbs in place of dried herbs. A good rule of thumb for substituting dry herbs with fresh herbs is that you will use 3 times as many fresh herbs. For example, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano would be equal to 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano.
- Use any combination of meat you prefer - ground beef, lamb, veal, turkey, or even ground chicken
- Add some fresh grated parmigian0-reggiano
- Skip the meat altogether and make a marinara sauce
Ways to enjoy with Whole30 meat sauce recipe
- Serve it over top of roasted spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles
- Serve it with shirataki fettuccine noodles
- Use it to make this "Just Like the Real Thing" Lasagna recipe
- Use it as a filling to make keto hot pockets
- Serve it as a dipping sauce with these Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Bagel Bites
- Eat it on a low carb bun - sloppy joe style