These Keto Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings are perfectly crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. Covered in spices, butter, and buffalo sauce, they are a flavor explosion. The can be ready in less than 30 minutes and make the perfect low carb appetizer recipe. I like to serve these with my Dairy Free Keto Ranch Dressing or Creamy Chive Blue Cheese Dressing and some celery and carrot sticks.
- Chicken wings: this recipe uses a mix of flats and drumettes -- you can use either or both depending on your preferences - (more chicken wing recipes)
- Smoked paprika: while you can use regular paprika instead, smoked paprika gives a deeper, smoky flavor, similar to liquid smoke. (I use this brand of spices and seasonings)
- Frank's Red Hot: this is my favorite hot sauce because it has minimal ingredients. You can use another sauce, but the only ingredients should be cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder.
- Sweetener: this is optional, but I've found that a little sweetener really compliments the heat of the Buffalo sauce and the smokiness of the paprika.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Add the wings to a large mixing bowl and toss in the olive oil. Combine the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the wings and toss until they are evenly coated.
STEP 2: Place the wings into the basket / onto the tray of the air fryer. For extra crispy wings, they should not be touching. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches. Turn the air fryer to the air fry setting at 400°F and cook for twenty minutes, flipping the wings halfway through. Repeat this process until all of the wings are cooked. The internal temperature should be 165°F.
STEP 3: While the wings are cooking, make the sauce. Combine the hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, butter, and sweetener in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the butter is melted and all of the ingredients are well combined.
STEP 4: Place the cooked wings in a large mixing bowl, pour the toss over top and toss to coat.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Air frying tips: the key to super crispy air fryer wings is to not overcrowd the air fryer. Space them out so that they're not touching, even if you have to cook them in batches. (Try my Crispy Lemon Feta Chicken Wings)
- Deep fried wings: you can deep fry the wings by heating oil in a dutch oven or sauce pan to 375°F. Fry the wings for about 10 to 12 minutes or until crispy and cooked all the way through. (Try my Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wing Recipe)
- Baked wings: don't have an air fryer? No problem. I use baking powder to make extra crispy baked wings. Dry the wings thoroughly, then toss with smoked paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and 2 tablespoons baking powder. Drizzle the olive oil and toss again. Bake the wings according to the directions in this Salt and Vinegar Wing recipe.
- Dipping sauces: I like to serve these Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings with my Dairy Free Keto Ranch Dressing or Creamy Chive Blue Cheese Dressing and some celery and carrot sticks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! No need to thaw frozen wings before air frying. Just add an extra five minutes to the cooking time. Instead of cooking the wings for 20 minutes, cook them for 25 minutes.
Simply swap the butter for olive oil, or butter flavored coconut oil.
Chicken is done once it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F
Depends on your air fryer. Make sure the wings aren't touching, this may mean that you have to cook your wings in batches. Trust me, the crispiness is worth it!
Other recipes you might enjoy
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBEPrint