This Chive Horseradish Keto Cauliflower Mash is the last potato substitution recipe you will ever need. Rich, flavorful, and utterly delicious!
This Chive Horseradish Keto Cauliflower mash is one of my all-time favorite low carb side dishes. However, even after living a low carb lifestyle for so long, I still miss potatoes almost daily. Mashed potatoes are hard to replicate because they are just so perfect as they are, but I feel like this recipe does a pretty good job of curbing even the strongest potato craving.
This keto cauliflower mash pairs perfectly with just about any protein, and it is so easy to adapt to your own tastes. Not a fan of horseradish? Leave it out. Want to make it cheesier? Add more of your favorite type of cheese. Looking for a dairy free keto variation? Simply omit the cheese, and try using this butter flavored coconut oil instead of the butter and subbing in some of your favorite dairy free milk alternative instead of the sour cream.
To perfect this Chive Horseradish Keto Cauliflower Mash Recipe, it is imperative that you do not skip the step of placing the cauliflower back in the hot pot to help absorb the excess moisture. This is what keeps it from turning to cauliflower soup, and from watering down the flavor entirely. For a rich, creamy, mashed potato like experience, you want the cauliflower to be as dry as possible. I make this same suggestion on most of the keto cauliflower recipes here on my site - especially this Keto Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Cauliflower Mash.
Alternately, you can roast the cauliflower in the oven like I did in this Keto Herbed Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash. Both techniques with produce a wonderful cauliflower mash that will have you saying "Who needs potatoes anyway?"
In addition to this Chive Horseradish Keto Cauliflower Mash, Check out some of my other favorite low carb cauliflower recipes:
Chive Horseradish Keto Cauliflower Mash
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Steaming
1 large head of cauliflower
5 chives, chopped, extra for garnish
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons butter, extra for garnish
3 tablespoons creamy horseradish sauce, or 1 ½ tablespoons prepared horseradish
½ cup sour cream
3 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Over medium-high heat, steam cauliflower in a covered pot in 1 to 2 inches of water. Steam until the cauliflower is fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the burner, drain the water and leave the cauliflower in the hot pot. This will help pull some of the excess moisture from the cauliflower. This step is crucial to not having soupy cauliflower mash.
- Once the excess liquid is gone and the cauliflower feels fairly dry, fork mash the cauliflower.
- Add the chives, Parmesan cheese, butter, horseradish, sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Mash until all ingredients are well incorporated and the cauliflower is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with extra chives and butter before serving.
Makes 8 servings - 3 grams of net carbs per serving
Keywords: low carb side dishes, keto cauliflower mash, low carb cauliflower mash, mashed potato substitutions, keto side dish recipes