These one pot Keto Beef Stroganoff Burgers are loaded fresh herbs and spices, seared to perfection and then smothered in a rich, creamy sour cream sauce with mushrooms and onions. An easy weeknight meal that will taste like you spent hours in the kitchen.
- Ground beef: For this low carb beef stroganoff recipe, I used ground beef You can make also make this recipe with ground chicken, turkey, bison, or any combination of the 4. Have some steak on hand? Try my Beef Stroganoff Soup Recipe
- Beef bouillon: I used both beef broth and beef bouillon granules to really add to the savory flavor of this recipe.
- Mushrooms: technically you could use any kind of mushroom, but I prefer sliced cremini mushrooms. Not a fan of mushrooms? You can omit them.
- Cooking sherry: this adds a sweet, nutty flavor and aroma to the stroganoff. I like to use this brand.
Step by Step Instructions
How to make Keto Beef Stroganoff Burgers
STEP 1: First make the burgers. Combine ground beef, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, one clove of garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper in a last mixing bowl.
STEP 2: Once mixture is well incorporated, form into 4 even patties.
STEP 3: Next, in a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, sear the patties, browning on both sides. About 3 minutes each side.
STEP 4: Remove patties from pan and set aside. To the same pan, add butter, olive oil, and cooking sherry.
STEP 5: Reduce heat to medium-low, add onion, mushrooms, and the remainder of the garlic. Sauté until onions are tender and slightly caramelized and mushrooms are tender.
STEP 6: Next, deglaze pan with beef stock. Use a rubber spatula to scrape off and mix in any bits of onion and garlic stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add beef bouillon granules and stir until dissolved.
STEP 7: Then stir sour cream, heavy cream, and parmesan into sauce. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by ⅓ and has started to thicken.
STEP 8: Finally, Add patties back to the sauce and let entire dish simmer, uncovered, on low for 10 minutes. Serve patties on a plate and top with sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Serving: I like to serve these Keto Beef Stroganoff Burgers with a nice green veggie, like broccolini and this Herbed Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash. It is also delicious with this Cheesy Creamed Spinach and these Butter Roasted Radishes or these Air Fryer Potato Wedges. It is also delicious with a big glass of keto friendly red wine.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Temper the sour cream: avoid curdling by stirring a little of the beef stock into the sour cream. Then, add the warmed sour cream mixture to the pan until incorporated, then simmer until the sauce reduces.
- Add extra veggies: Have some veggies in the fridge that need to get used up? Chop them up and add them to the pan when you add the mushrooms and onions. Some of my favorite vegetables to add are broccoli, cauliflower, and bell peppers.
- Make a vegetarian version: Instead of making the burgers, you can use a veggie burger in place of the beef, and replace the beef stock and beef bouillon with vegetable stock and vegetable bouillon.
- Spice it up: Make a spicy version by adding some sriracha or a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stroganoff sauce is a gravy, typically made with sour cream, beef broth, mustard, and mushrooms, then thickened with flour. Since this is a keto stroganoff, the flour is omitted. Instead, we thicken the sauce by simmering until reduced.
This is not your basic, flavorless stroganoff. This recipe is made with plenty of seasoning, cooking sherry, Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon granules, beef stock, fresh mushrooms, and grated Parmesan.
I like to serve beef stroganoff with broccolini, roasted mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, cauliflower mash, creamed spinach, or even steamed artichokes.
Temper the sour cream by stirring a little of the beef stock into the sour cream. Then, add the warmed sour cream mixture to the pan until incorporated, then simmer until the sauce reduces.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBEPrint
**Recipe originally posted January 13th 2014 - Recipe updated 5/3/21**