Carbonara has always been one of my favorite pasta dishes. However, I hadn’t had it for years before creating this recipe. I forgot how much I enjoy it. The eggs and Parmesan cheese make a perfectly creamy texture. It’s almost as if you are eating a rich cream sauce, without actually adding any cream. I love coming up with creative low carb pasta substitutions. Who says that a low carb, ketogenic lifestyle has to be boring?
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Check out some of my other favorite low carb pasta substitutions:
- Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Pasta
- Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto “Mac” and Cheese
- Cabbage Noodle Tuna Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Pancetta and Peas
- Rainbow Vegetable Noodles
Spaghetti Squash Carbonara – Low Carb, Gluten Free
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 oz pancetta, diced
- 5 oz onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic. minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400° Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds. Drizzle squash halves with olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt and black pepper. Place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the spaghetti squash is roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta to the pan and cook until crispy. To the pan, add the onion and the garlic. Cook until translucent and soft. Once the spaghetti squash is roasted, use a fork to scrape out the shreds of squash. Add to skillet and toss with pancetta, onion and garlic. Make sure that spaghetti squash is nice and hot.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, parsley, grated Parmesan, sea salt and black pepper. To the mixing bowl, add squash mixture and toss with egg mixture. The heat of the spaghetti squash will cook the eggs just enough to coat them to the strands of squash without scrambling them.
- Top with shredded Parmesan before serving.
Per Serving - Calories: 256 | Fat: 19g | Protein: 13g | Net Carbs: 10g
***Some links contained on this page are affiliate links and I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remunerations for any products purchased through these links***