Over the 15 years I worked in the restaurant industry, nearly all of them were in Italian restaurants. Italian dishes are known for their heartiness and are often very carb heavy. Sometimes it is all about finding creative solutions. I love making sauces from scratch and finding fun ways to replace classic pasta dishes. The roasted spaghetti squash in this recipe is an amazing low carb and gluten free substitution for pasta noodles. Enjoy an old classic in a waistline friendly version. Looking for family friendly meal plan ideas? Click on the image below to learn about my low carb and gluten free weekly meal plans.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb Italian inspired recipes:
- “Just Like the Real Thing” Lasagna
- Eggplant Lasagna with Meat Sauce
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Pancetta and Peas - Low Carb, Gluten Free
- medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 6 oz pancetta, diced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- a few sprigs of Italian flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Drizzle olive oil over both halves and sprinkle with a little sea salt and black pepper. Place the spaghetti squash, cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once the spaghetti squash has finished roasting and has cooled, use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash and remove it from the shells. Place in a large serving bowl and set aside.
- While the spaghetti squash is roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta to the skillet. Sauté the pancetta until it is crisped. Remove the pancetta from pan and set aside, but retain the drippings in the pan.
- To the pan, add the shallot, garlic and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken stock. Scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan and mix in.
- Add heavy cream and Parmesan to the pan. Add the pancetta back to the pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir peas into sauce. Pour sauce over spaghetti squash and mix everything together.
- Top with shaved Parmesan and parsley before serving.
Per Serving - Calories: 567 | Fat: 49 g | Protein: 22 g | Total Carbs: 12.5 g | Fiber: 3 g | Net Carbs: 9.5 g