Growing up, we ate a lot of sloppy Joes—that notorious cloyingly sweet canned sauce cooked with ground beef and served on a big hamburger bun. It was usually accompanied by tater tots and ketchup, and I loved every last bite. But as I grew up and my palate began to mature and change, my childhood favorite became less and less appealing to me. It wasn’t until I made my own low carb sloppy joe filling from scratch, with real-food ingredients that I began to love the sloppy meat mixture once again.
These Low Carb Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers give you all the satisfaction of a classic sloppy joe, but without all the carbs and gluten. If you are not a fan of bell peppers, you can also stuff the filing in zucchini boats, portobello mushrooms, or even avocado boats. I have tried them all three ways, and they are delicious!
In addition to these Low Carb Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers, check out some of my other favorite low carb stuffed pepper recipes:
- Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
- Hawaiian Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- The Everything Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
- Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- 36 Low Carb Stuffed Pepper Recipes
This recipe is a sneak peek into my new book – 30 Minute Ketogenic Cooking. Grab a copy HERE
WITH RECIPES LIKE THESE, HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG?
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Pepper
- Cauliflower Steaks with Cheesy Bacon Sauce
- Lemon Mousse
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buttery Garlic Crescent Rolls
- Barbecue Chicken Mockaroni Salad
- Salisbury Steak
- Zucchini Gratin
- Fish Taco Bowls
- and so many more…
- 4 large bell peppers (any color)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I use this brand of spices)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cut the peppers in half vertically and remove the ribs and seeds. Place the peppers on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are tender.
- While the peppers are in the oven, make the sloppy Joe mixture: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until the onion and celery are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a heatproof spatula, and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stuff the sloppy Joe mixture into the pepper halves and garnish with the parsley.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 6g
- Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Pepper
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 8.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 19g