These low carb sloppy joe stuffed peppers are a great alternative to the sickeningly sweet canned version of a childhood classic. By stuffing the filling into peppers instead of on a sandwich bun, they are low carb and gluten free.
- 4 large bell peppers (any color)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup (I use this Whole30 compliant brand) code PEACE for 10% off
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos for Whole30
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I use this brand of spices)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cut the peppers in half vertically and remove the ribs and seeds. Place the peppers on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are tender.
- While the peppers are in the oven, make the sloppy Joe mixture: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until the onion and celery are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a heatproof spatula, and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Stuff the sloppy Joe mixture into the pepper halves and garnish with the parsley.
- 6g net carbs per serving
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Beef Recipes
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Pepper
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 8.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 19g
Keywords: keto sloppy Joe, low carb sloppy Joe, low carb stuffed pepper recipes, keto stuffed pepper recipes, easy ground beef recipes, keto ground beef recipes, gluten free stuffed peppers