The pictures simply cannot do this soup justice. I know it looks rather unappealing, but I promise you it tastes amazing. Sausage and sweet potato is becoming one of my favorite combinations. I love the savory taste of the sausage, combined with the sweet flavor of the sweet potatoes. This is a great soup to make ahead of time and freeze for later. I recommend reheating it on the stove top.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb soups and stews recipes:
- Vegetable Beef Quinoa Soup
- Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Lentil and Italian Sausage Soup
- Low Carb Kickin' Chili
Spicy Sausage, Sweet Potato Soup - Low Carb, Gluten Free, Paleo
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 cups 1x
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage - casings removed
- 1 pound sweet potato, cubed
- 6 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach or kale
- Heat the slow cooker on the low setting.
- To a large skillet, over medium heat, add the garlic and onions and sauce until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook until it is browned. While the sausage is cooking, add the sweet potato, mushrooms, chicken stock, salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Once the sausage is browned, drain the excess grease from the pan and add to the stow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir the spinach into the soup and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: paleo soup recipe, whole30 soup recipe, low carb soups, sausage soup, sweet potato soup recipe
I’m in love.
I made this to take for lunch for my work week. I used kale instead of spinach (BC I think kale holds its texture better) and Chorizo BC it was on sale.
This is an insta-favorite! (And doesn’t smell up the work lunch room when reheating! )
Could I cook this on high for a shorter time period?
Can you freeze this soup? I was wondering if the sweet potatoes would get mushy. Sounds yummy!
Oh my yes. I give this the highest marks for everything. Yum City! I didn't get started early enough to do the slow cooker. No worries. 6 hours in a slow cooker equals 1.5 hours in a dutch oven at 325 degrees. Perfect. We did shred a little Asiago on top. I did a white sweet potato because that is what I had. Kind of a Zuppa Tuscona. Really great. Thanks for the recipe.
I made this recipe but doubled it because I'm meal prepping for two, and we each wanted to eat two cups of this instead of one as the suggested serving size. I substituted kale for the spinach because that's what I had in the fridge already, and use pork sausage because it was on sale for 25 cents per pound at my local grocery store (I know CRAZY)! I also substituted baby bellas for the Cremini. Anyway, the soup turned out amazing! I love the sweet and spicy paring. I will definitely be making this again! It was inexpensive, filling, and totally low calorie! Thank you for posting this!
pictures looks like you did not peel the sweet potato...did you leave the skin on?
thanks...looking forward to trying this recipe
Peace Love and Low Carb says
I do leave the peel on, yes.