Today I would love to introduce to you my friend Jennifer, the chief foodie, brains and beauty behind the amazing site Predominantly Paleo. She has generously agreed to guest post for us. This recipe seriously has me drooling! Here are two other versions for you to check out as well – Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers and Sloppy Joe Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Sloppy Joes are a favorite for many that spell out c-o-m-f-o-r-t with a capital C! That savory meat paired with bell peppers and a soft bun have made taste buds happy in grown-ups and kids alike. But what happens when dietary shifts take place and clean eats start happening? Comfort foods often take a back seat and become “cheats” or “off limits”.
This sloppy joe recipe uses organic produce, grass fed beef, and in place of a glutenous bleached white bun, a sweet potato waffle lies, catching all the saucy goodness. Alternatively, a bed of spinach or mixed greens can serve as the base for a lower carb option. Any way you serve it, this clean sloppy joe version is just as comforting as the original and will leave your body feeling much happier!
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Paleo Sloppy Joes with Sweet Potato Waffles
For Meat Mixture
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 15 ounces jarred organic tomato sauce
- 1 organic green bell pepper diced
- 1 organic red bell pepper, diced
- 1 organic onion, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons date sugar (may be omitted for lower carb option)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Sea salt and Black Pepper to taste
For Sweet Potato Waffles
For Meat Mixture:
- Combine meat and vegetables in a large skillet and cook until meat is no longer pink
- Add in tomato sauce, date sugar, garlic, coconut aminos and simmer around 30-40 minutes, covered
- Turn heat to low and add sea salt and black pepper to taste
For Sweet Potato Waffles:
- Preheat waffle maker
- Combine all waffle ingredients in a blender, food processor, or similar appliance
- Puree all ingredients
- Once waffle iron is hot, pour batter onto griddles
- Follow directions for waffle maker, removing waffles once they are crispy on the outside and cooked through.
- To assemble, take one waffle and spoon 1/4 of meat mixture on top. Serve!
Note: If you have a belgian waffle maker, you may need to double the waffle ingredients as belgian waffles are thicker