This low carb green bean casserole is a deliciously healthy keto spin on a Thanksgiving classic. Have your old favorites without breaking the carb bank.
The days of making a green bean casserole entirely out of canned and packaged ingredients are long over. Once you try this low carb green bean casserole recipe, I promise you won’t be buying canned cream of mushroom soup anytime soon. This is a great holiday classic but also a delicious year-round side dish. If you are adding this recipe to your low carb, keto Thanksgiving recipes and still need additional ideas, I have a couple of roundup posts that just might help – Your Low Carb Thanksgiving Table and Pumpkinpalooza – 45 Low Carb Sweet and Savory Pumpkin Recipes.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb side dish recipes:
- 25 Low Carb Potato Substitutions
- Skillet Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Paprika roasted Radishes
- Keto Herbed Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash
- Lemon Pepper Green Beans
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed and halved
- ½ cup blanched almond flour (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- avocado oil (or frying oil of your choice)
- In a large pot of salted water, bring the green beans to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain in colander and submerge the beans in an ice water bath to shock them and stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, sea salt, and black pepper. Add onions and shallots and toss until they are well coated.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat ½ inch of avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add breaded onions and shallots in small batches and fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil and spread out on a paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Drain skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, butter and garlic to the pan.
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- To the skillet, add heavy cream, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low and let simmer to thicken. Once sauce has started to thicken, stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add green beans to sauce and stir until they are coated. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish. Spread crispy onions and shallots out evenly around the perimeter of this dish. Bake 15 minutes.
Per Serving – Calories: 155 | Fat: 11g | Protein: 5g | Net Carbs: 8g
***Please note that nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels***