This low carb green bean casserole is a deliciously healthy keto spin on a Thanksgiving classic. Have your old favorites without breaking the carb bank.
The days of making a green bean casserole entirely out of canned and packaged ingredients are long over. Once you try this low carb green bean casserole recipe, I promise you won’t be buying canned cream of mushroom soup any time soon. This is a great holiday classic but also a delicious year round side dish. If you are adding this recipe to your low carb, keto Thanksgiving recipes and still need additional ideas, I have a couple of round up posts that just might help – Your Low Carb Thanksgiving Table and Pumpkinpalooza – 45 Low Carb Sweet and Savory Pumpkin Recipes.
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
Green Bean Casserole – Low Carb, Gluten Free, Primal
- 1 lb fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup almond flour (get it here)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 oz onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, rough chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- avocado oil (or frying oil of your choice)
- In a large pot of salted water, bring the green beans to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain in colander and submerge the beans in an ice water bath to shock them and stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, sea salt, and black pepper. Add onions and shallots and toss until they are well coated.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat ½ inch of avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add breaded onions and shallots in small batches and fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil and spread out on a paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Drain skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, butter and garlic to the pan.
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- To the skillet, add heavy cream, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low and let simmer to thicken. Once sauce has started to thicken, stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add green beans to sauce and stir until they are coated. Transfer mixture to a casserole dish. Spread crispy onions and shallots out evenly around the perimeter of this dish. Bake 15 minutes.
Per Serving - Calories: 155 | Fat: 11g | Protein: 5g | Net Carbs: 8g
***Please note that nutritional information listed on this page is an estimation based on the products I used. Ingredients and nutritional information can vary greatly between brands. Always be sure to read labels***