This Kombucha Sangria recipe is fresh and fruity, tart and fizzy, all without being overly sweet. It's the perfect healthier cocktail recipe for a hot summer day on the patio, or a cozy winter night inside by the fireplace.
What is sangria?
Sangria is a red wine based alcoholic beverage, originating from Spain and Portugal. It is mixed with fresh fruits, orange juice, soda or some other non-alcohol mixer, sugar or simple syrup, and usually a liquor like brandy or rum. Traditionally it is made with a Spanish red wine like Tempranillo, or Rioja, but honestly, you can make it with any red wine you have on hand. It is a great way to use up an inexpensive table wine or that random bottle of wine someone gifted you over the holidays. While originally made with red wine, nowadays you will see a lot of white wine and even rose variations. For this kombucha sangria recipe, I chose to use a non-alcoholic mixer that also packs a nutritional punch - kombucha.
How to make sangria
While sangria may be one of those things you have only seen on restaurant menus and store shelves, making your own homemade sangria recipe couldn't be any easier.
- Slice the fruit - Take one orange, one lemon, and one lime and slice them into wheels.
- Add all ingredients to a large pitcher - Pour the wine, kombucha, brandy, orange juice and monkfruit into a pitcher. Stir until all ingredients are well combined and the sweetener is dissolved. Add the citrus wheels to the pitcher.
- Refrigerate - Chill for a few hours, up to a few days. The longer you let it sit, the more the flavors will come together.
- Enjoy - Pour over ice and enjoy with friends.
- Red Wine - (I get my keto-friendly wine here) feel free to use any red wine you prefer. Although traditionally made with a Tempranillo or Rioja, I usually use whatever wine I have on hand. Since I am mixing in so many other things, I usually go for a less expensive bottle
- Kombucha - I like to make it with GT's Trilogy kombucha, but you can use any flavor you prefer.
- Brandy - I left this as an optional ingredient because it is just as good without it. If you aren't a fan of brandy, you could also use rum. You could also go with a liqueur like Cointreau or Triple Sec
- Monkfruit - (I use this brand) code peace for 20% off - You can use any sweetener you prefer here. You can even use real sugar if you aren't concerned with keeping this low in carbs
- Orange Juice - I try to opt for fresh squeezed whenever possible, but using store-bought works great also. If you are going the store-bought route, I recommend getting a low or no pulp orange juice.
- Citrus Fruits - For this kombucha sangria variation, I opted for oranges, limes and lemons to help keep this lower in carbs, but when it comes to sangria, you can really use any fruit you prefer. Don't be afraid to mix and match things up.
Substitutions and Variations
- Instead of citrus fruits, use mixed berries
- Make a white wine version and add apples, berries, peaches, or any fruit you desire
- Use tart cherry juice in place of the sangria for a tart version
- Make a spiced winter sangria by adding warm spices like ginger, cinnamon, clove, star anise, nutmeg or cloves
- Add some fresh grated ginger and use ginger kombucha
- Use club soda in place of the kombucha
- Substitute cranberry juice for the red wine and make it a sangria mocktail
- Add some fresh mint
- For an even bubblier version, top with some Top Chico when serving
- Sweeten with a little maple syrup instead of sugar or sweetener
other cocktail recipes you might enjoy
- Keto Happy Hour - 50 Low Carb Cocktails to Quench Your Thirst
- Orange Creamsicle Mimosas
- Tart Cherry Lemon Drop
- Cucumber Mojitos
- Strawberry Daiquiri Gummy Worms
- Keto Irish Cream
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Buttered Rum
- Tart Cranberry Cooler
- Black Beauty Cocktail
- Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 7 cups 1x
- Category: cocktails
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 750 ml bottle Spanish wine (I get my keto-friendly wine here)
- 16 ounces kombucha (I use GTs Trilogy, but you can use any flavor you prefer)
- ½ cup brandy (optional)
- 4 tablespoons powdered monkfruit (I use this brand) code peace for 20% off
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- Mix the wine, kombucha, brandy, monk fruit, and orange juice together in a large pitcher. Add orange slices, lemon slices, and lime slices. Serve over ice.
net carbs per serving: 6.2g
- Serving Size: 8 ounces
- Calories: 101
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0.1g
Keywords: kombucha sangria, low carb sangria recipe, keto cocktails, low carb alcoholic beverage, cocktail recipes