This rich and cheesy Keto Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is the ultimate in gluten free keto comfort food.
Keto Mac and Cheese? Is it too good to be true?
Well, with a little creativity, it sure can be. While it isn’t the same as true mac and cheese with traditional gluten based pasta, cauliflower sure is a great substitution. The key to making a really delicious cauliflower mac and cheese recipe is roasting the cauliflower instead of steaming it. When you steam cauliflower or even simmer it directly in water, it absorbs all the moisture like a sponge and can turn your dish into a soupy mess. Whereas roasting it keeps it dry and imparts a beautiful flavor and texture. It really does make all the difference in the world. This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe is the ultimate in comfort food. It is also the perfect dish to bring to a keto potluck. Trust me when I tell you that it will be the first empty dish on the table.
In addition to this Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe, check out some of my other Favorite Keto Casserole Recipes:
- Big Mac Casserole
- Loaded Baked Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Chili Dog Pot Pie Casserole
- Low Carb Green Bean Casserole
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Three Cheese Ham and Broccoli Casserole
- Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Cabbage Casserole
- Cabbage Noodle Keto Tuna Casserole
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 ½ pounds), trimmed and cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (this is my favorite salt)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces (I get my chicken here)
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup finely Parmesan cheese
- 1 rib celery, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line the cauliflower in a single layer across a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over top and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until it is golden brown and cooked all the way through, about 8 minutes. Add the buffalo wing sauce to the chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook until the butter starts to brown slightly and the garlic is fragrant. Then add the heavy cream, 1 cup of the mozzarella, ¼ cup of the blue cheese, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. Stir to melt and mix in the cheeses and then reduce the heat to low.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large casserole dish. Layer the chicken over top and then pour the cheese sauce over top. Use a rubber spatula to mix the layers together just slightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella, blue cheese and celery on top. Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until it is bubbling and golden brown on top.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 6.6g
- Calories: 416
- Fat: 33.7g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 22.2g