This Keto Chicken Dijon with Mushrooms and Artichokes is the perfect budget friendly dinner. Juicy chicken breast, with a creamy mustard sauce, briny artichokes and tender mushrooms. With minimal ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare, it is perfect for those busy weeknights or even for meal prep.
Ingredients in Keto Chicken Dijon
- Chicken: For this creamy mustard chicken recipe, I used chicken breasts, cut into tender-sized pieces. You could also use chicken things. (more keto chicken recipes)
- Chicken bouillon granules: If you cannot find bouillon granules, you can use a bouillon cube and just let it dissolve.
- Artichoke hearts: I use canned, quartered artichoke hearts. Be sure to drain the artichokes before adding them to the sauce. (check out my marinated artichoke heart recipe)
- Mushrooms: I used cremini mushrooms, but you can use any mushroom you prefer. Some of my favorites are oyster, shiitake, and portobello.
- Dijon mustard: This is also excellent with a stone-ground mustard or even a spicy brown mustard.
Step by step Instructions
How to make Keto Chicken Dijon
STEP 1: Season both sides of the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper.
STEP 2: In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
STEP 3: Add the chicken to the pan and sear until it is golden brown on both sides.
STEP 4: Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside (chicken may not be fully cooked at this stage)
STEP 5: Deglaze the pan with chicken stock and use a rubber spatula to scrape off and mix in any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
STEP 6: To the chicken stock, mix in the bouillon granules and tarragon until dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 5 minutes
STEP 7: Add the heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, mushrooms and artichokes and bring to a bowl, then reduce to simmer. Let simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by ½ and thickened.
STEP 8: Add the chicken back to the pan and let simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Recipe tips and Serving Suggestions
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this on the stovetop and adding a list heavy cream and parmesan cheese to revive the sauce.
- Chicken thighs: You can substitute chicken thighs in place of the chicken breasts
- Add capers: This dish is also amazing with capers instead of, or in addition to the artichoke hearts.
- Add more veggies: Some of my favorite vegetables to add to this dish are broccoli, spinach, or asparagus.
- Side dishes: I like to serve this with my Cheesy Creamed Spinach, Buttery Cauliflower Rice Pilaf, Herbed Goat Cheese Cauliflower Mash, or even Crispy Air-fryer Potato Wedges
Frequently asked questions
Since flour is not low carb or gluten free, I often use cream, cheese, and reduction to thicken my sauces. Heavy cream and cheese will add some body to the sauce, and then a long sauté to reduce the sauce will further thicken it.
To make this dairy free, substitute full fat coconut milk for the heavy cream and omit the parmesan cheese. To maintain that Parmesan cheese flavor, you can add a little nutritional yeast.
Other recipes you might enjoy
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #peaceloveandlowcarb on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.
Never miss a recipe! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released.
(recipe originally posted on February 7, 2012)