This sugar free Corned Beef and Cabbage is the best way to ring in a keto holiday. Tender, slow cooked beef brisket and veggies, comforting, delicious, and low carb!
Whether you’re celebrating a Keto New Year or a Sugar Free Saint Patrick’s Day, this low carb corned beef and cabbage recipe is a hit
Corned beef and cabbage is a New Year’s staple because it symbolizes good luck for the year ahead. Why is this meal lucky? Maybe it’s because Irish immigrants who came to the US used to make corned beef and cabbage on Saint Patrick’s Day as a nod to their heritage. In Ireland, cattle herders often couldn’t afford to eat the beef that they raised, so they made corned pork, usually served with potatoes, an Irish staple. Beef represented a new level of luxury for Irish immigrants, paying homage to the sacrifices they made as new Americans.
It is said that if you eat chicken on New Year’s Day, you’ll be doomed to scratch in the dirt for survival for the next year, just like a chicken. Beef don’t scratch in the dirt for food — better be safe and enjoy some keto corned beef, served with light green cabbage, symbolizing paper money. A prosperous keto New Year’s recipe that we all can enjoy, whether you’re making it on January 1st, March 17th, or a random Thursday in February.
How to make keto corned beef and cabbage
Typically, corned beef is made with lots of salt, spices, veggies, and a big scoop of brown sugar. Since this is a sugar free corned beef recipe, we’re making it with brown sugar erythritol. This way, you get all of the flavor without the sugar overdose. Corned beef is super easy to make, and works as a great weeknight meal: just load all of the ingredients into your slow cooker or a dutch oven and then cook, low and slow, for 8 hours.
How to make a corned beef spice blend
Most store-bought corned beef briskets come with a seasoning packet. But if yours did not or you like the idea of making your own, here is what I like to do: a mix of whole mustard seeds, allspice berries, whole black peppercorns, a warming spice like coriander or ginger, cinnamon, and a couple cloves of minced garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme sprigs.
All of these herbs and spices, combined with beef stock and a brown sugar substitute make the best sauce. They also make for a very juicy and tender corned beef brisket.
In addition to this easy corned beef and cabbage recipe, check out some of my other favorite healthy holiday recipes:
- Creamy Cauliflower Mash with Pan Gravy
- Keto Sausage Balls
- Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce
- Sugar Free Keto Glazed Ham
- Keto Pecan Pie
- Herbed Butter Roasted Chicken
- Keto Hot Buttered Rum
- Low Carb Green Bean Casserole
- Keto Irish Cream
- White Cheddar and Sausage Biscuits
- Cranberry Pecan Cauliflower Rice Stuffing
- Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage
- Keto Pumpkin Pie
- Tart Cranberry Cooler
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 6 small carrots, halved lengthwise
- 3 shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 1 pound whole radishes, scrubbed with the ends trimmed
- 3 pounds beef brisket with excess fat trimmed
- spice packet (this should come with the corned beef, but see note above to make your own)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar erythritol, more to taste (I use this brand)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into eight wedges
- Preheat the oven to 300°F or heat a slow cooker on the low setting
- Place the carrots, shallots, and radishes in the bottom of a large dutch oven. (or in the slow cooker, if using)
- Place the corned beef on top of the vegetables and sprinkle the spice blend and brown sugar erythritol over top.
- Pour the beef stock over top of the brisket.
- Place cabbage wedges around the corned beef.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 4 hours or in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Let the meat rest before slicing into it, and then ladle the juices over top.
net carbs per serving: 6.3g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 677
- Fat: 51g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 43.1g
Keywords: Keto corned beef, Sugar free corned beef, Low carb corned beef and cabbage, Easy corned beef and cabbage recipe, Healthy holiday recipes