This low carb chicken scampi is a top 5 favorite dinner in our home! I used to eat at a certain well know chain Italian restaurant all the time (I'm sure you know the one) and their chicken scampi was one of my favorite things in the world. I ate there so many times that all of my friends were tired of dining there with me. I didn't let that stop me. I am certainly not afraid of dining alone. I just kept on going! I'd bring a book or my journal and eat lunch while I enjoyed some quality "Me time". Not long after that time in life, I embarked on my low carb lifestyle. I knew right away that I needed to recreate this dish into a low carb and gluten free version.
Check out some of my other favorite low carb chicken recipes:
- Pan-seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream Sauce, Mushrooms and Onions
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- Dill Chicken Salad
- Peanut Chicken Skillet
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf
Low Carb Creamy Chicken Scampi
- Yield: Makes 4 Servings 1x
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast, cut into tenders sized pieces
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces mixed bell peppers, sliced
- a few slices of red onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (I use this brand)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Season chicken breasts with sea salt and black pepper on both sides. In a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, pan-sear the chicken breasts in 4 tbsp of butter. Sear on both sides until they are a nice golden brown. About 3-4 minutes each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside (Chicken will not be fully cooked at this stage.)
- Using the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add remaining 2 tbsp of butter, and the minced garlic. Brown the butter and garlic. About 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic as it will turn very bitter.
- Keeping at medium heat, add sliced red onion and saute onions until transparent. About 3-4 minutes.
- De-glaze the pan with chicken stock. Using a rubber spatula, scrape off and mix in any stuck on pieces of chicken and garlic. Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to low to simmer. Let simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes to allow sauce to begin thickening. Mix in Parmesan cheese, sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Mix peppers into sauce and add chicken back to the pan. Finish cooking chicken in the sauce on low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Per Serving - Calories: 464 | Fat: 34g | Protein: 38g | Net Carbs: 4g