This is one of my all-time favorite keto side dishes. My love of mashed potatoes is unparalleled. While it is hard to re-create the perfect creamy, buttery mashed potatoes in low carb form, this dish comes pretty darn close. I love to serve it beside with my Pan Seared Chicken with Balsamic Cream Sauce recipe. Looking for some other delicious low carb cauliflower side dishes? Check out my Buttery Cauliflower Rice Pilaf or my Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto “Mac” and Cheese.I also have an entire section of low carb cauliflower recipes.
Sign up for updates to receive one week FREE of my low carb and gluten free meal plans:
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large head cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup creamy horseradish
- In a large sauté pan over low-medium heat, add onions, garlic, butter, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Cook until onions are nice and caramelized. About 30 minutes.
- While the onions are caramelizing, fill a large sauce pan with 1 inch of water. Over high heat, steam the cauliflower, whole and, covered, until fork tender – About 15 minutes. Once the cauliflower is fork tender, drain the water and remove from heat. Leave the cauliflower in the hot pan to help draw out some of the excess moisture. (Don’t skip this step or your mash will turn out soupy)
- Fork mash the cauliflower in the pan. Add caramelized onions, sour cream, horseradish sauce, sea salt and black pepper to the pan. Using a potato masher or hand mixer, mix all ingredients together.
Per Serving – Calories: 120 | Fat: 9.5g | Protein: 2.5g | Net Carbs: 4.5g
- Serving Size: 8 Servings