This Keto Chicken and Waffles recipe is combining the ultimate soul food with comfort food at its finest. This healthier version may be low carb, and gluten free, but it is packed with flavor.
What are chaffles?
Chicken and waffles, or chaffles, is a classic dish with fluffy waffles and tender crispy fried chicken. Typically, this dish is served with traditional maple syrup, but since this is a keto chicken and waffles recipe, I like to serve it with my favorite sugar free pancake syrup. This keto maple syrup goes perfectly on these gluten free waffles. A lot of people like to eat their chicken and waffles with syrup and hot sauce. YUM! If you think that sounds strange, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. It’s seriously the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. You may also hear the term chaffles in reference to the new craze of making cheese waffles. This is actually something I have been doing for years. I simply use my Nut Free Pizza Crust recipe and load it into a waffle iron and it makes the crispiest, cheesiest chaffles you have ever tastes.
Keto fried chicken … for breakfast?
The beauty about this gluten free chicken and waffles recipe is that you can enjoy it any time of day. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, nothing beats grain free waffles piled high with gluten free fried chicken. Top with a perfectly poached egg, serve with a side of bacon or sausage… it’s the perfect meal. To make this keto chicken and waffles recipe gluten free, we used low carb breading substitutions – crushed pork rinds and coconut flour. Some other great keto breading options are grated parmesan cheese, golden flaxseed meal, and blanched almond flour. They can all work to make a deliciously crunchy gluten free, keto-friendly breading mixture. It’s really just a matter of personal preference and mixing and matching to figure out the combination that you like best.
Where did chicken and waffles come from?
Chicken and waffles first became popular during the 1930s in America. Jazz clubs would let out very early in the morning, and diners would serve leftover fried chicken from the night before on a stack of fresh waffles. It only took about 90 years later to develop the best keto waffle recipe with keto fried chicken, but here we are. This dish is seriously keto comfort food at it’s finest. Whether you are eating it for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it is sure to satisfy.
In addition to these keto chicken and waffles, check out some of my other favorite keto breakfast recipes:
- Ham and Gruyere Cauliflower Waffles
- Nutty Chocolate Keto Granola
- Keto Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches
- Keto French Toast Egg Puffs
- Low Carb Dairy Free Peanut Butter and Jelly PB&J Smoothie
- Low Carb Keto Banana Nut Protein Pancakes
- Low Carb Keto Everything Bagels
- Keto Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- Keto White Cheddar Sausage Breakfast Biscuits
- Maple Chicken Breakfast Sausage
Using buttermilk will give these chicken and waffles a superb flavor, but using heavy cream will lower the overall carb count.
for the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into tenders (get organic, pastured chicken here)
- 1 cup buttermilk or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (I use this brand)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups crushed pork rinds (get them here)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (I use this brand of spices)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
for the waffles:
for the chicken:
- Put the chicken tenders in a bowl and cover with the buttermilk. Refrigerator for 24 hours. This will ensure that the chicken is very moist and tender.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut flour in a shallow bowl.
- Crack the egg into a separate shallow bowl and fork whisk.
- In a third shallow bowl, combine the pork rinds, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Toss the chicken tenders in coconut flour, then dip in the egg wash, and then coat in the pork rind mixture.
- Line the breaded tenders in a single layer across the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until they are crispy on the outside and cooked all the way through.
for the waffles:
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Mix all of the waffle ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron. Ladle the batter onto the center of the waffle iron; the amount will vary by waffle iron. Consult the manufacturer’s directions for the recommended amount of batter.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the waffle iron stops steaming. Repeat this process until all of the batter is gone, regreasing the iron between waffles.
- Serve with sugar-free maple syrup and eggs cooked any way you like them.
- Calories: 830
- Fat: 42g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2g net
- Protein: 54g
Keywords: keto waffles, gluten free waffles, keto chicken and waffles, gluten free fried chicken, keto fried chicken, grain free waffles